GOVERNMENT OF TONGA
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Position
The Government of Tonga’s strategic vision for the future delivery of public services is aimed at streamlining its organizational platform to better deliver more efficient and effective public services for the people of Tonga. To help achieve this aim, the Government of Tonga seeks to appoint the Chief Executive Officer for Finance under the Ministry of Finance.
Applications are welcomed from individuals who possess outstanding strategic thinking capacity, demonstrated leadership capability and superior management skills. Government CEOs are integral in supporting a productive and sustainable Public Service as Tonga continues its path towards constitutional reform. The CEO role is particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
The role will work closely with their responsible Minister and central agencies, not only as Chief Executive Officer, but also in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment in services and programs. High orders of communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential, as is a demonstrated track record of effective resource management.
Essential skills required of the advertised CEO role will be to:
- Provide the Minister with high quality policy and program development advice
- Drive strategic planning and resource management accountabilities
- Provide executive direction to professional, technical and operational teams
- Identify improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost to government
- Lead implementation of organizational & system changes to improve productivity
- Model cross-Ministry and whole of government collaboration to ensure high standards of communication and customer service
Term of appointment: Contract term of up to four (4) years.
Remuneration: Based on the Government of Tonga, CEO Remuneration package.
CEO for Finance
Job Reference: CEO Finance
The Ministry of Finance is a central agency with key obligations as mandated by the Constitution, laws and international agreements. As a result, it has many stakeholders, including Cabinet, all MDAs, public enterprises, the private sector, communities and the general public. The expectations of the Ministry of Finance are covered by a host of legislation and regulations. In addition to the requirements of the TSDF, the mandate is also dependent on various sector plans and international agreements with development partners and other international agencies such as the 2030 Agenda with its Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is responsible to the Minister of Finance for implementing government policies and decisions, and for managing the administrative, operational and broader functions and activities of the Ministry. Specifically, the purpose of the role is to:
- Ensure the best possible analysis and policy advice on economic and financial issues is provided
- To provide leadership in the formulation and management of the Government’s annual Programme Budget with respect to the economic, social and other goals pertaining to the financial and economic position of Tonga
- To facilitate integrated planning and economic development and oversee the set if a ‘think tank’ of economists to operate at a strategic level.
Experience and Qualification-
- Relevant postgraduate (Level 8 TNQAB framework: postgraduate (postgraduate Diploma/BA with honours + 10) (MA + 6) (PHD + 4) qualification + considerable senior leadership experience
- Relevant degree + considerable senior leadership experience in complex organisations, preferably in Government or regional or international agencies
- Current TPS employee with 10 years’ experience in a similar role (meeting other core competency and experience requirements specified in the job description + PMS scores of 3 or above for the past 2 consecutive years)
Please note considerable senior leadership experience.
Key Definitions & Explanations
Considerable senior leadership experience. (G) Senior management, executive management, upper management, or these management team are generally team of individuals at the highest of management of an organization whom resume the duty of the day-to-day operations of managing an organization. (K) Senior leaders generally have a tier of managers that report to them. Senior management can sometimes be called tier management. (J) Generally, means seven years and generally part of the top management team that often directly reports to the CEO.
These three key requirements (considerable senior leadership experience, considerable senior leadership and senior leadership) are interchangeable. Senior leadership generally refers to the top management team that often reports directly to the CEO. Senior leaders generally have a tier of managers that report to them. Senior management can sometimes be called second tier management.
Considerable experience (J) depends on the nature of the role, but it could also mean around 8-10 years in a senior management role. Considerable generally means 7 years or more in the leadership experience in the senior management hierarchy stated above.
How to Apply:-
- Applicants who possess most of the qualities described under the essential skills, accountabilities, experience and qualification for the CEO position should request an Application Information Kit. An Application Information Kit can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Public Service Commission on +676 7400300, or email ceomatters [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to.
Applications should be forwarded to the following address by 4:30pm on 27 November, 2020.
Public Service Commission
Pacific Timber & Hardware’s Building
Candidates should refer to the Application Information Kit in preparing an application, ensuring that all requirements are satisfied. Incomplete documentation may prevent proper consideration of the application. Given the brevity of time, signed emailed applications will be acceptable. Email applications should be forwarded to ceomatters [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to by the closing date.