
By Joanna Guelas / AAP
Addin Fonua-Blake, NSW Blues debutant almost gave up on playing State of Origin before changes to NRL eligibility rules opened the door to his long-awaited Blues call-up.
The Sydney-born Cronulla prop named in Laurie Daley's squad for the May 27 State of Origin opener in Sydney after the NRL changed representative eligibility rules earlier this year.
Fonua-Blake was previously ineligible for NSW election following a Test match in 2017 where he represented New Zealand, the Kiwis are classified as a tier-one nation.
The 30 year old who mainly represented Tonga since, said he believed his Origin chance had passed. “I thought this game was probably past me,” Fonua-Blake said.
“I was just a fan from afar watching the games.
“When the post got put out that the rules were changing, it was something that I was wanting to be a part of.
“I’m just happy that I got a call-up and all the hard work sort of paid off.”
Under the revised rules, Fonua-Blake's sole Test apperance for New Zealand no longer counted against his State of Origin eligibility.
He joins Penrith outside back Casey McLean and Sydney Roosters forward Victor Radley among players cleared for selection under the updated criteria.
Fonua-Blake said he had no regrets about representing New Zealand earlier in his career.
“When I made my decision when I was younger, I backed that,” he said.
“I feel like they (NSW) backed my decision as well.
“There were always conversations like, ‘Oh, do you reckon you would have made it?’ or whatever.
“And I just said, ‘Oh, look, I don’t know if I would have made it, but I would have loved to have given it a shot’.
“Now we don’t have to think about the what-ifs. I’m here now.”
Fonua-Blake revealed Daley had first approached him informally over coffee.
“I told him it would mean the world to me,” he said.
“You grow up watching these games, as a kid, you know, you want to be a part of them.
“He just said, ‘Alright, well, go out there and prove to me why you should be in the team’, and I feel like I’ve done that.”
The Sharks front-rower also thanked NRL chairman Peter V’landys and chief executive Andrew Abdo for the eligibility changes.
“Thank you. If I see you guys out, I’ll buy you a coffee or a beer,” Fonua-Blake joked.


