Speaker of the Legislative Assembly, Parliament House, Nuku'alofa, Tonga.
We the undersigned mothers, fathers and our families acknowledge with humble gratitude:
- That His Late Majesty King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV in 2004 graciously initiated the political reform in Tonga by appointing two Ministers who were elected by the nobles and two who were elected by the people.
- That His Late Majesty King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV made the historical milestone of a sovereign voluntarily sharing his constitutional powers through his appointments to cabinet based on the recommendations of a Prime Minister elected by the people.
- That His Majesty King Siaosi Tupou V (as Prince Regent) publicly endorsed the establishment of the NCPR, which was officially established in December 2005.
We are empowered by the knowledge:
-That Parliament has established the Parliamentary Tripartite Committee, to deepen the dialogue on the Political Reform.
-That the Tripartite Committee are working in a spirit of cooperation rather than confrontation.
-That Hon Prime Minister and Cabinet are committed to listening and acting on the hopes and aspirations of the people of Tonga in relation to Social, Economic and Political Reforms.
We acknowledge with honesty and humility:
-That we are ignorant and confused by the various political modalities, which is being dialogued by the Parliamentary Tripartite Committee.
-That we have been apathetic in relation to political issues because for 131 years the Royal House of Moheofo has provided for our families a peaceful and orderly Tonga.
In view of the above and many, many more, we the undersigned humbly appeal to your honour, the Hon. Prime Minister, Ministers of the Crown, the Nobles and our Representatives to Parliament (the Peoples Representatives) to please:
1. Allow time to comprehensively Educate us and our families on the three modalities under discussion by the Tripartite Committee.
2. Allow time for comprehensive education and awareness raising on the new system of government approved by Parliament before implementation.
We reaffirm our total support to His Majesty King Siaosi Tupou V.
We reaffirm our total support to the Hon. Prime Minister and his Majesties Government.
We reaffirm our total support to Parliament and your very able Leadership.
In Conclusion we humbly speak together with His Late Majesty King George Tupou I, "'E 'auha hoku kakai, ko e masiva 'ilo".
We pray that your honour and the Parliament of Tonga will save us from further destruction.
Saame 121: 1 & 2.
"Te u tangaki hoku mata
kihe ngaahi mo'unga:
'E ha'u mei fe hoku tokoni?
Ko hoku tokoni 'oku meia Sihova,
'a ia nene ngaohi 'a e langi mo mamani."
The Women of Tonga,
- Salamo Fulivai. 06/08/07