A Police Constable who is charged with attempting unlawful importation and possession of a controlled drugs together with four Asian nationals, has pleaded not guilty at the Nuku’alofa Supreme Court last week.
From the Courts
Four local companies who were suing their insurance company for cover over damage to their properties in the riots of 16 November 2006, ended their case today on the basis that no party paid costs. The plaintiffs were disappointed to pull out as the evidence in court about the riots favoured the defence position that the riots resulted from “a popular rising, people connected with an organisation the objects of which included influencing the government by violent means and terrorism.”
The Minister of Justice, Hon Clive Edwards told the Nuku’alofa Supreme Court on Friday, November 9, that three businesses, associated with the Prime Minister, the monarchy and their business partners were targeted in violence in central Nuku’alofa on 16 November 2006.
‘Isileli Pulu, who followed a crowd of rioters and witnessed damage to businesses during the 16 November 2006 Nuku’alofa riots, was vigorously questioned on his movements on that day, when he gave evidence in an insurance case heard at the Nuku’alofa Supreme Court yesterday. During the hard questioning the judge warned ‘Isileli that he may not answer any questions if he felt it might incriminate himself.
During ‘Akilisi Pohiva’s first two days of giving evidence, in an insurance case heard in the Nuku’alofa Supreme Court this week, he was questioned closely about the ingredients for violent demonstration that were evident on November 16, 2006, when the central business district was destroyed by rioters. He told the court he had no connection to the rioters.
Eight plaintiffs of local businesses whose properties were damaged and gutted by fire during the riots of November 16, 2006 are suing their insurance company the National Pacific Insurance (Tonga) Ltd, for coverage.
The Preliminary Inquiry of five Tongan police officers and one civilian, who have been charged with manslaughter has been set for February 25-27, at the Nuku’alofa Magistrate’s Court.
Lord Lasike was acquitted this morning on a charge of illegal possession of ammunitions without a license, after his appeal against his conviction was allowed by Tonga’s Court of Appeal.
An appeal by Lord Lasike against his conviction on illegal possession of ammunitions without a license was heard today at Tonga’s second Court of Appeal session and a judgement will be delivered on Friday, October 12.
A Preliminary Inquiry of the current Deputy Speaker of the Tonga Legislative Assembly Lord Tu’iha’ateiho on one charge of unlawful possession of a firearm without a license is adjourned to October 18, for a new date to be fixed.