Now that about 30% of the work has been accomplished, the Japanese Ambassador to Tonga, HE Mr Yukio Numata invited the Minister for Public Enterprises, Hon. Poasi Tei, members of the Nuku’alofa Harbour Board and media representatives to tour the site.
At the moment the domestic shipping services share Queen Salote Wharf with the international shipping services, where at times it can get too crowded. With the upgrading of the wharf for domestic transport, five inter-islands ferries will be able to berth at the same time, supported by a well facilitated terminal building with first-class public facilities and parking places.
The upgrading of Faua Wharf is one of many public facilities that has been constructed for Tonga by the Japanese Government. Prominent are the Nuku’alofa foreshore, the Hala Taufa’ahau from Nuku’alofa to the Fua’amotu International Airport, Vaiola Hospital, and the Cultural Center.
The Faua Wharf was originally built by the Americans when they moved into the Pacific during the Second World War. The name Faua (42), is a reminder that it was built in 1942.