GOVERNMENT OF TONGA
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for Public Enterprises
The Government of Tonga’s strategic vision for the future delivery of public services is aimed at streamlining its organizational platform to better deliver more efficient and effective public services for the people of Tonga. To help achieve this aim, the Government of Tonga seeks to appoint a Chief Executive Officers for the Ministry of Public Enterprises.
Applications are welcomed from individuals who possess outstanding strategic thinking capacity, demonstrated leadership capability and superior management skills. Government CEOs are integral in supporting a productive and sustainable Public Service as Tonga continues its path towards constitutional reform. The CEO roles are particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
The role will work closely with the responsible Minister and central agencies, not only as Chief Executive Officer, but also in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment in services and programs. High orders of communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential, as is a demonstrated track record of effective resource management.
Essential skills required of the advertised CEO roles will be to:
- Provide the Minister with high quality policy and program development advice
- Drive strategic planning and resource management accountabilities
- Provide executive direction to professional, technical and operational teams
- Identify improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost to government
- Lead implementation of organizational & system changes to improve productivity
- Model cross-Ministry and whole of government collaboration to ensure high standards of communication and customer service
Term of appointment: Contract term of up to four (4) years.
Remuneration: Based on the Government of Tonga, CEO Remuneration package.
CEO for Public Enterprises
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible to the Minister for Public Enterprises for implementing government policies and decisions, and for managing the administrative functions and operational activities of the Ministry.
Specifically, the purpose and essential skills of the role is to:
- Ensure public enterprises practice good corporate governance and comply with the requirement of the Public Enterprises Act 2002, Companies Act 1995 and specific legislation.
- Provide policy advice to government in relation to current public enterprises performance, the establishment of new government businesses, and the privatising of existing enterprises where viable.
- Implement government policies on public enterprises and ensure these contribute to the continuing development of the private sector, the improvement of the public sector and government budgetary allocations.
- Develop the training of directors and facilitate and facilitate improvements in the performance of corporate boards and management of public enterprises.
- Guide and support the processes within the Ministry for an efficient and effective organisation, responsive to the needs of other ministries, public enterprises and stakeholders.
- Build strategic management capability to ensure that executive management within the Ministry is innovative, flexible and responsive in discharging responsibilities.
- Create a performance culture which reflects a high level of team work, harmony and collaboration which builds organisation capability.
Experience and Qualification
- Tertiary educational qualification relevant to the position and proven operational management experience of at least 7 years in a senior leadership and management position in Government or in a comparable organization, with proven high performance delivery in policy, strategy, program administration, staff supervision and performance management or relevant field.
- Essential skills of the Government CEO position along with proven business management skills in the public or private sector will be advantageous.
How to Apply
- Applicants who possess most of the qualities described under the essential skills, accountabilities, experience and qualification for the CEO position should request an Application Information Kit. An Application Information Kit can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Public Service Commission on +676 25770, or email ceoopportunity [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to
- Applications for the Chief Executive Officer for Public Enterprises position closes by 4:30pm on Wednesday 12 June, 2019
- All applications should be forwarded to the address mentioned below prior to the closing dates as mentioned above;
Acting Chairman of Public Service Commission
Level 1 Tungi Colonnade
- Candidates should refer to the Application Information Kit in preparing an application, ensuring that all requirements are satisfied. Incomplete documentation may prevent proper consideration of the application. Given the brevity of time, signed emailed applications will be acceptable. Email applications should be forwarded to ceoopportunity [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to by the closing dates for the above mentioned position.