Invitation for Bids
Date: 11th February 2019
Grant no. & Title: 49450-012 Tonga Renewable Energy Project.
Contract no. and Title: TREP-02 Load Shifting battery at ‘The Villa’ – supply, install and commission under Tonga Renewable Energy Project
Deadline for Submission of Bids: 26th of March 2019, 2:00 pm (Tonga Time)
1. Tonga has applied for financing from the Asian Development Bank (ADB) toward the cost of Tonga Renewable Energy Project. Part of this financing will be used for payments under the contract named above. This contract will be jointly financed by the Green Climate Fund (GCF) and ADB. Procurement rules and procedures of ADB will govern the bidding process. No nationality restrictions apply other than any restriction arising from Instruction to Bidders Clause 4.
2. The Tonga Power Limited (“the Employer”) invites sealed bids from eligible Bidders for the design, construction, installation, integration in the existing power system infrastructure and commission of a battery energy storage system (BESS) (“the Facilities”) as shown below:
Load shifting battery at ‘the Villa’ – supply, install and commission
- A BESS to be installed at the “The Villa” adjacent existing 2 MW solar field and TPL Offices, on the island of Tongatapu and connected to the electricity grid. The BESS is intended to provide increased flexibility for TPL to manage the output of multiple independent power producers operating wind and solar installations at various locations around the island. The project will facilitate increasing capacity of renewable generation in the grid by storing solar generation during the day for use at night, and grid providing support to the power station and power station BESS (separately tendered).
- The BESS shall provide and include
- a fully integrated, modular system, suitable for extended service in local conditions
- usable storage capacity of 17.4 MWh
- capability to charge and discharge at 5.1 MW
- high voltage (11 kV) electrical connection to the grid
- interface to the TPL SCADA
- Grid support functionality.
3. International Competitive Bidding will be conducted in accordance with ADB’s Single-Stage: One-Envelope bidding procedure and is open to the Bidders without nationality restrictions.
4. Only bidders with the following key qualifications should participate in this bidding:
- Minimum average annual turnover of US$23M calculated as total certified payments received for contracts in progress or completed, within the last 3 years.
- The Bidder must demonstrate that its financial resources, less its financial obligations for its current contract commitments, meet or exceed the total requirement for the Subject Contract of US$4.3M
- Participation in at least one (1) contract that has been successfully or substantially completed within the last five (5) years and that are similar to the proposed contract, where the value of the Bidder’s participation exceeds US$8.2M
5. To obtain further information and request a free electronic copy of the bidding documents, bidders should contact:
Attention: Tonga Power Limited, Procurement Unit
Street Address: 1st floor, Corner of Taufa’ahau Rd
ZIP Code: 0000
Telephone: +676 786 3229
trep_procurement [at] tongapower [dot] to
6. To purchase a hard copy of the bidding documents in English eligible bidders should:
- Write to the address above requesting the bidding documents for Contract No. TREP-02 Load Shifting battery at ‘The Villa’ – supply, install and commission under Tonga Renewable Energy Project
- Pay a non-refundable fee of US$100 by cash or transfer through a bank account.
The Bank account of the Employer:
Bank Account Name: Tonga Power Limited
Bank Account: 1681919
Swift Code: ANZBTONN
7. A pre-bid meeting will be held at the TPL head office, on Tuesday, 26 February 2019, at 11:00am. This will be followed directly by a site visit. Non-Attendance will not be cause for disqualification.
8. Deliver your bid:
- to the address above
- on or before Tuesday, 26 March 2019, 2:00pm (Tonga Time)
- together with a Bid Security as described in the Bidding Document
- Electronic submission of bid is not permitted.
Bids will be opened immediately after the deadline for bid submission in the presence of the Bidders’ representatives who choose to attend. Late bids will be rejected.