Tonga has extended its State of Emergency for another month, from 8:00pm 11 June until 8:00pm 8 July, Tonga's Prime Minister Hon Dr Pohiva Tu’i’onetoa declared this afternoon.
The PM with the recommendation of the Minister responsible for Emergency Management also declared a CoViD-19 restrictions notice to be extended from 8:00pm, Thursday 11 June 2020 to 8.00pm, Wednesday 8 July 2020. Officers are authorised under the Emergency Management Act 2007 and the Public Health Act 2008 to enforce the restrictions to all persons in Tonga.
Key restrictions are:
- Night-time curfews shall apply from midnight to 5:00am.
- The night-time curfew shall be enforced by the Tonga Police, His Majesty's Armed Forces and relevant authorised officers.
- All activities and gatherings in Tonga shall-
- not exceed the maximum number defined as mass gathering;
- comply with social distancing; and
- comply with the Ministry of Health requirements for sanitation and hygiene.
- Funeral gatherings shall be restricted to a total of 50 people indoors and 100 people outdoors with an authorised officer to be present throughout.
- All persons shall observe and promote social distancing of 1.5m at all times and shall use protective clothing where possible.
- All persons shall observe personal hand hygiene and shall follow all Public Health Advisories issued by the Ministry of Health in relation to COVID-19.