MINISTRY OF EDUCATION & TRAINING
Technical Assistant (National Consultant for the Convention on the Rights of the Child) – Short Term Contract
This activity is being implemented by Ministry of Educating Training in accordance with Tonga’s commitments under the United Nation’s Convention on the Right of the Child, which was ratified in 1995.
1. National Consultant for the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Support the Government of Tonga through the Ministry of Education and Training in meeting the reporting obligations under the CRC.
A. DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- To develop a methodology/process and data collection tools for the Tonga State Party initial report.
- To conduct comprehensive literature review to analyse existing information on status of children against the provisions of the CRC, in relation to the Tongan Context.
- To collect and consolidate data and information required to compile the reports, through conducting extensive consultations with relevant stakeholders. Consultations will take place in Nuku’alofa (x3), Eua (x1), Ha’apai (x1) and Vava’u (x1). More details will be provided to the successful applicant.
- To compile final State Party Report (compliant with CRC Committee Guidelines); and executive summary ready for onward processes.
Duration: The consultancy will be paid for 45 working Days.
B. REQUIRED QUALIFICATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in any of the following relevant fields, Law, Human Rights/Child Rights, International Relations, Political Science, History or related social sciences or First University degree plus extensive years of experiences in the stated fields.
- Documented experience in report writing.
- At least 7 years of working experience in Tonga in related field and knowledge of the Rights of the Child Particularly in the Tonga Context is highly desirable.
- Good working relationship with Government ministries and key stakeholders in Tonga is required.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the social, cultural and political context of Tonga.
- Vast experience and good understanding of the culture and context for children in Tonga and the South Pacific.
- Fluent in English. Excellent writing and verbal Communication skills.
- A proposed detailed budget is required which should include the fees in local currency.
D. HOW TO APPLY:
- Interested candidates are requested to submit their CV, full contact information of minimum 2 referees, availability, proposed professional fee in local currency to metprojectunit [at] gmail [dot] com or submit a hard copy addressed to Chief Executive Office for Education & Training, and labelled “CRC application”, Vuna Road, Nuku’alofa.
- For further information please contact Ministry of Education and Training’s Project Coordination Unit on 23-511 or 27-267 or email metprojectunit [at] gmail [dot] com.
- All applications are to be submitted no later than 4:00pm March 31st 2017.