Tonga Statistics Department (TDS)
Request for Expressions of Interest
Selection of an Individual Consultant
• Hazard Mapping Consultant for Early Warning System
|Assignment||Re-advertised Hazard Mapping Consultant for Early Warning System|
|Project:||Statistical Innovation and Capacity Building in Tonga|
|Date of Issuance:||01st November, 2023|
|Date and time Expression of Interest (EOI) due:||15th November, 2023|
The Government of Tonga has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of Tonga’s Statistical Innovation and Capacity Building in Tonga Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services,
The consulting services (“the Services”) include:
- Utilizing existing Census data to map the distribution of the Tongan population at an appropriate level of granularity.
- Utilizing existing analysis of the Household Income and Expenditure Survey (HIES) data to map information on household welfare and other characteristics linked to household vulnerability at an appropriate level of granularity.
- Analyzing historical information on natural disasters and other available geographic information to map the level of risk of relevant geological and hydrological natural disasters in each area.
It is anticipated that the consultant will commence as soon as possible on a full-time basis for 1 month with further extension based on need and satisfactory performance. The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be obtained from Ms. Fatai Kaufusi at fatai [dot] kaufusi [at] stats [dot] gov [dot] to or Ms. ‘Ativeniana Pomana at ativeniana [dot] pomana [at] stats [dot] gov [dot] to or click on the following link, TOR.
The Tonga Statistic Department (TDS) is the implementing agency and now invites eligible individuals (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services (attach curriculum vitae with a description of experience in similar assignments, similar conditions, etc.)
The following expertise and level of experience are required of the Hazard Mapping Consultant for Early Warning System:
- Master’s degree or PhD in economics, statistics or other related field
- At least six years of professional experience for a Master’s degree holder or two years’ professional experience for a PhD holder in similar assignments
- Experience in work related to geospatial data.
- Extensive experience with relevant statistical analysis and GIS software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Experience working with development partners such as WB, ADB, and DFAT would be an advantage.
- Experience working in Tonga or other Pacific Island Countries would be an advantage.
- Evidence of strong interpersonal skills around collaboration and communication, particularly in a remote work context.
CVs of eligible candidates that meet the minimum requirements will be scored according to the following criteria:
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers dated July 2016, revised November 2017 and August 2018 (“the Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Selection of Individual Consultants (INDV) method set out in Paragraphs 7.36 to 7.37 of the Procurement Regulations.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours, 08:30 am to 04:30 pm.
All expressions of interest (EOI) must be delivered in a written form to the address below in person or sent by e-mail by 15th November 2023 at 4:30 pm and should be clearly marked “EOI for Hazard Mapping Consulting Services, Reference No. TO-TSD-365970-CS-INDV”.
Attention: Mr. Sione Lolohea
Tonga Statistic Department
1st floor Si’i Kae Ola Supermarket Building
Phone: +676 23-300
E-mail: sione [dot] lolohea [at] stats [dot] gov [dot] to and copy to fatai [dot] kaufusi [at] stats [dot] gov [dot] to and ativeniana [dot] pomana [at] stats [dot] gov [dot] to.