GOVERNMENT OF TONGA
Ministry of Finance, Central Services Unit
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
INDIVIDUAL CONSULTING SERVICES
Engineer/ Contract Management (ECM) Specialist
Assignment Title: Engineer/ Contract Management (ECM) Specialist. One Part-time position.
Project: Tonga Skills and Employment for Tongans Project.
Grant Number: IDA D3660-TO/TF A7984
Date of Issuance: Friday, 20th January 2023
Date and time Expression of Interest (EOI) due: Friday, 03rd February 2023.Not later than 16:30 pm local time (Tonga time)
Email Submission of EOI: Please email to: slolo [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and copy to: sfaletau [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to; mutetelianathalie [at] gmail [dot] com and mfatukala [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to
Attn.: Chief Executive Officer, Ministry of Finance
Reference Number: TO-MFNP-327435-CS-INDV
The Kingdom of Tonga has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Skills and Employment for Tongans (SET) Project, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services. The Ministry of Finance has established the Central Services Unit (CSU) to provide services related to: (i) project preparation and implementation, and (ii) capacity building. For project preparation and implementation, the role of the CSU is to provide both implementation and advisory services in the common fiduciary functions such as Procurement, Financial Management (FM), Safeguards, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), and Engineering and Contract Management.
The consulting services (“the Services”) include the recruitment of the Part-Time/Call-off Civil Engineer and Contract Management Consultants, among others. The overall responsibility of the consultant is to proactively work with all relevant Implementing Agencies (IAs) in the area of engineering and contract management so that the projects deliver Value for Money (VfM) in achieving the different Project Development Objectives.
This is a part-time position for 20 months (may be extended based on needs and performance of the consultant) to provide support to multiple projects. Expected start date of the position is February 2023.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be found at the following link: CSU TOR_Engineer-Part-Time CM_Consultant-Published 20 Jan 2023.docx The Ministry of Finance now invites eligible individuals (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services (attach curriculum vitae with description of qualifications, experience in similar assignments, similar conditions, etc.).
The criteria for selecting the Consultant are:
The Consultant shall have the following minimum qualifications and experience:
- Qualifications: At least a BSc in engineering (Civil Engineering preferred), or other relevant discipline from a recognized institution; (20%).
- Recent experience in developing and reviewing engineering design, development of specification, and scope of work; (20%);
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ work experience in a civil engineering and/or infrastructure project with responsibilities as mentioned in the Scope of Service above that closed on time and budget; (20%);
- Demonstrated experience in using Project Planning, Project Management and/or Contract Management Software e.g. Microsoft Project, ACONEX or similar (applicants should mention the software they have competencies on); (10%);
- Experience from multiple countries that will benefit and enrich the knowledge of Tongan engineers and build local capacity; (10%)
- Expert 5 years of experience in administering civil works contracts, including FIDIC types of contracts. (20%).
- Other Requirements:
- Willingness to travel to remote islands and stay there for as much time as required to support projects implementation (for consultants in-country). For part-time consultants, willingness to travel to Tonga and/or act in the FT role, should circumstances require it, is considered desirable;
- Demonstrated ability to build effective relationships and communicate effectively with stakeholders, with people of different cultural backgrounds, and varying technical skill levels;
- Demonstrated ability to develop training materials.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 3.14, 3.16 and 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers, dated July 2016, revised November 2017 and August 2018 (“the Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. A Consultant will be selected in accordance with Paragraph 7.36 to 7.37 of the Procurement Regulations.
The remuneration package for this position is attractive and it will be determined based on qualifications, experience and previous remunerations for similar assignments.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 09:00 to 16:00 hours.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) not later than 16:30pm of Friday, 03rd February 2023.
Attn: Chief Executive Officer
Ministry of Finance, Nuku’alofa Tonga Islands, Tel: +676 23-066<
E-mail: slolo [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and copy to: sfaletau [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to; mutetelianathalie [at] gmail [dot] com and mfatukala [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to
INSTRUCTION FOR SUBMISSION:
Please limit your CV and Cover letter in five (5) pages addressing each of the Selection Criteria with exact details.