Peace Corps - Tonga
Language and Cross-Cultural Coordinator
|OPEN TO:||All Interested Candidates|
|POSITION:||Language and Cross-Cultural Coordinator|
|OPENING DATE:||15 May 2020|
|CLOSING DATE:||12 June 2020|
|WORK HOURS:||Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 5:30pm (8hrs plus 1 hour lunch)|
The United States Peace Corps/Tonga is recruiting for a full-time Language and Cross-Cultural Coordinator (LCC).
This person will work closely with the Programming and Training Unit.
The LCC is responsible for the implementation and evaluation of a 30-month language and cultural training continuum – designing, implementing, and evaluating the language and cultural training continuum that prepares 30+ Peace Corps Trainees/Volunteers annually for their two years of service in Tonga, developing the respective curriculum (including online and digital components), and coordinating ongoing language support.
The LCC manages the integration of the continuum and curriculum into the annual calendar of training events and implements annual training of trainer’s workshops preparing training staff for 10-week pre-service training events for Peace Corps Trainees. The LCC also develops training curriculum and facilitates sessions on intercultural competence, diversity and inclusion, and participatory community development.
The LCC is required to work approximately 2 – 3 months of the year in the training community located in various communities around Tonga. For the remaining 9 – 10 months of the year, the LCC works out of the Peace Corps Tonga office in Nuku’alofa.
- High school certificate or higher education.
A balanced mix of:
- At least 2 years’ experience in language tutoring or teaching.
- Experience in curriculum development.
- Experience in planning extended adult training programs designing and implementing training for groups of 10 or more.
- Experience in using computer software (ex. Microsoft Suite) and other forms of technology proficiently.
- Experience in instructional learning materials or resources.
- Experience in developing digital resources and/or digital media.
- Speaks, reads, and writes the Tongan language fluently.
- Speaks, reads, and writes English conversationally.
- Organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- A driver’s license (driving 4x4 official vehicles with manual transmissions).
- Availability to travel throughout the different island groups, approximately 30% of the time, including overnight travel over multiple days.
- Tongan citizen or has current, valid authorization to work in Tonga.
- Able to get an American visa
- Diploma in Education, Curriculum Design, Linguistics, Cultural Studies, or related fields.
- Experience with online learning management systems highly desirable.
- Experience in managing cross-cultural training programs.
- Experience in community development projects.
- Experience in motivating and working with community groups.
- Experience working in the Pacific sub-region
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as in a group setting.
- Willingness to take calls, work, travel during odd hours and weekends.
- Experience working with Americans and an understanding of American culture.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO
- Mail: Attention: Director of Management and Operations, U.S Peace Corps/Tonga, PO Box 147, Nuku’alofa, Tonga
- Email: to-hrtonga [at] peacecorps [dot] gov
- In person: Peace Corps/Tonga Office, Hala Tupoulahi, Fasi-moe-Afi, Nuku’alofa
- Or call telephone number 25-466 ext.124
- Closing Date of Application – Friday 12, June 2020