PEACE CORPS TONGA
Personal Services Contractor (PSC) vacancy announcement
PEACE CORPS MEDICAL DOCTOR
|OPEN TO:||All Interested Candidates|
|POSITION:||Peace Corps Medical Officer|
|OPENING DATE:||17 October 2019|
|CLOSING DATE:||14 November 2019|
|WORK HOURS:||8:30am – 5:30pm (8hrs plus 1 hour lunch)|
The United States Peace Corps seeks a Medical Doctor to serve as a contracted Peace Corps Medical Officer (PCMO) based in Tonga. The PCMO will provide health care to U.S. Peace Corps Volunteers, who serve for 2 years in communities in Tongatapu, Vava’u, Ha’apai and Eua. This is a full time position, located in the medical office in the capital Nuku’alofa. PCMO will work under the supervision of the Peace Corps Country Director in Tonga and the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services in Washington DC, USA.
- Routine primary health care to Peace Corps Trainees and Volunteers including treatment of common illnesses and injuries in accordance with Peace Corps medical guidelines
- Individual short-term counseling on disease prevention, adjustment issues, stress management and cross-cultural problems
- Response to emergency medical situations
- Member of Senior Peace Corps staff in Tonga
- Ability to conduct trainings on health related issues
- Site visits to Peace Corps Volunteers throughout Tonga
- Administrative tasks of the medical office including budget management
- Inventory of medical supplies and equipment
- Alternate 24 hour on- call duty with the other PCMO
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Graduate of accredited school
MDs must be a graduate of a school listed in this link, Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research: https://search.wdoms.org/
- Current license to practice
- Relevant clinical experience in primary care after medical school
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral /written English.
- Experience in managing mental health issues including counseling of patients
- Experience in training design and presentation of health related material
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook
- Program management, administrative experience
- Ability to work effectively as part of an intercultural team
- Hardworking, reliable and diligent with good inter-personal skills
- Willing to travel to sites in Tonga
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Must be able to obtain an American visa
Interested applicants for this position must submit the following:
- A completed PCMO Application form, a completed PCMO applicant skills survey, a completed Privileging form. The applicant must complete this request for privileges depending on their professional qualifications.
- A cover letter
- A resume or CV that includes:
- Professional positions held, identifying duties, responsibilities, dates of employment and reason for leaving
- Education and training, identifying universities attended, dates of attendance, degrees and diplomas.
- Professional licenses, certificates, registrations
- An accounting for periods of unemployment longer than three months
- Three professional medical references, with at least two being from medical colleagues who have directly observed the applicant in a clinical setting. (One must also be from the current employer.)
- Photocopies of:
- Diploma from medical school.
- Professional medical license. If the license does not have an expiration date, written confirmation must be submitted directly from the issuing authority. Please note, if a license is not required, rather, the medical diploma is the license to practice, written confirmation, issued directly from the professional medical board, Ministry of Health or other appropriate regulatory authority establishing that the candidate is properly credentialed for medical practice, is required.
- The candidate should also provide the following:
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Passport number
- Passport issue date
- Passport expiration date
All documents must be in English. Official translation is not required.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Mail: Attention: Director of Management and Operations, U.S Peace Corps/Tonga, PO Box 147, Nuku’alofa, Tonga
Email: HR [at] to [dot] peacecorps [dot] gov
In person: Peace Corps/Tonga Office, Hala Tupoulahi, Fasi-moe-Afi, Nuku’alofa
Or call telephone number 25-466 ext.124
Closing Date of Application Nov 14, 2019.
The United States Peace Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer.