TongaHealth 2019 Dr. Tapa Scholarship Award Application
The TongaHealth Dr. Tapa Scholarship award is available to all Tongans enrolling in the Certificate of Public Health or the Diploma of Public Health Program at the Fiji School of Medicine, or equivalent accredited public health or health promotion training program provided by a recognized University or training provider.
The purpose of the Dr. Tapa scholarship is to build non-communicable disease (NCD) prevention capacity in Tonga and to support workforce development.
Tongan nationals currently employed, or planning a career in a discipline relevant to public health and health promotion, are eligible to apply. Applicants must already be accepted to the Fiji School of Medicine in an undergraduate degree program.
Scholarship coverage may include:
- Enrolment / tuition fees /text books.
- Travel and accommodation depending on residential course requirements.
- Student association fees.
- Computer essentials and logistics.
- Scholarship awards will be based on academic merit, taking into account the academic attainment and work experience.
- Applicants must have already received approval of enrolment at the Fiji School of Medicine in either the Certificate, Diploma or an undergraduate program of Public Health courses for 2020.
- Mature age applicants should have at least 5 years relevant work experience, achieved pass grades at least either the Form 6 or Form 7 or equivalent results and/or have successfully undertaken some form of relevant tertiary studies either through tertiary institutions or work related training.
- Applicants should not hold an undergraduate or postgraduate degree.
- As of 1 January 2019, applicants should be at least 17 years of age.
Distance and Flexible Learning Mode (USP and FSM only)
Those applying for a Distance and Flexible Learning (DFL) award must be scheduled to complete a program of study within a two -year time frame.
Application Form for the 2019 Intake
To be considered eligible, applications MUST INCLUDE all of the following:
- Proof of placement at a recognized institution for the 2020 academic year.
- Completed application form.
- Curriculum Vitae (no more than 3 A4 pages).
- Certified copies of all academic transcripts that specify percentage grades or marks for each stage of study undertaken.
- Certified copy of the PSSC or Form 7 official results notice if already sat.
- A certified copy of the applicant’s full birth certificate.
- A short statement providing details on proposed area of study and its relevance to the applicant’s career aspirations in relation to public health, health promotion, and workforce development in Tonga. (no more than one A4 page).
Please note: Certified copies are photocopies which have been signed by a public notary, Justice of the Peace, respective school principal or academic registrar, after the sighting of your original documents.
APPLICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE at: TongaHealth Office, Tofoa (Next to Ministry of Health Administration Building)
Applications must include all details outlined above and should be submitted by 4pm, 30th November 2019.
Submit applications by:
Post: TongaHealth, Taufa’ahau Road, TOFOA. Private Bag 26, Nuku’alofa or
Delivered to: TongaHealth, Tofoa (Next to Ministry of Health Administration Building)
Enquiries can be directed to the Chief Executive Officer at telephone number 25721 or email: ofeina [dot] filimoehala [at] tongahealth [dot] org [dot] to.