GOVERNMENT OF TONGA
Ministry of Finance, Central Services Unit
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
INDIVIDUAL CONSULTING SERVICES
|Assignment Title:||Procurement Specialist (1 Full Time Position).|
|Project:||Tonga Skills and Employment for Tongans Project.|
|Grant Number:||IDA D3660|
|Date of Issuance:||15th March 2023|
|Date and time Expression of Interest (EOI) due:||Thursday, 03rd April 2023. No later than 16:30 pm local time|
|Email Submission of EOI:||Please email to: slolo [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to; sfaletau [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and copy to: mfatukala [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and fatukala [at] gmail [dot] com|
Attn: Chief Executive Officer, Ministry of Finance
Reference Number: TO-MFNP-339181-CS-INDV
The Kingdom of Tonga has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Skills and Employment for Tongans (SET) Project, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services. The Ministry of Finance has established the Central Services Unit (CSU), as a monitoring unit to provide support to the preparation and implementation of all World Bank Projects. The CSU is staffed with the specialists in different fields (Procurement, Safeguards, Monitoring and Evaluation, Financial Management, Communication, Engineering/Contract Management, etc).
The consulting services (“the Services”) include the recruitment of the Procurement Specialist, among others. The overall responsibility of the consultant is to proactively work with all relevant Implementing Agencies (IAs) in the area of procurement management so that the projects deliver Value for Money (VfM) in achieving the different Project Development Objectives.
This is a full-time position from date of recruitment to September 2024 (may be extended based on needs and performance of the consultant) to provide support to multiple projects. Expected start date of the position is April 2023.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be found at the following link:
The Ministry of Finance now invites eligible individuals (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services (attach curriculum vitae with description of qualifications, experience in similar assignments, similar conditions, etc.).
The criteria for selecting the Consultant are:
Academic Background and Relevant Experience
- Minimum Education: MA/MS (An advanced degree with a major in a relevant discipline e.g. Engineering, Law, Procurement, Finance, Business or Commerce).
- Minimum Years of Relevant Procurement Experience: 10 years
- Strong communication skills and persuasiveness in presenting, discussing and resolving difficult issues, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to identify complex issues and to respond and handle accordingly; does not add unnecessary complexity to tasks or projects.
- Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective business relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams within a matrix management environment.
Essential Specialized Skills/Knowledge/Competencies
- Good knowledge of all concepts and principles of and approaches to international procurement, and of public procurement systems. Proficiency: Fully Proficient
- Knowledge of procurement systems, practices and agencies in at least 2 different countries. Proficiency: Fully Proficient
- Specialized knowledge of and significant experience in 2-3 substantive areas/aspects of procurement (e.g. Machinery; various forms of construction contracts; selection/contracting of consultant services; preparation of bidding/contract documents for the international procurement of goods, works, services; technical specs in design and construction of facilities; public procurement policies, practices, institutions in developed and/or developing countries).Proficiency: Fully Proficient or Specialist
- Proven analytical and evaluative skills, including the ability to independently provide well researched analyses of key procurement issues and problems. Proficiency: Fully Proficient or Specialist
- Task/project management skills. Proficiency: Advanced
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with Section. V of the Consultant Guidelines. Firms expressing interest and proposing the name of an individual for the assignment should take note of paragraph 5.5 of the Consultant Guidelines.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 3.14, 3.16 and 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers, dated July 2016, revised November 2017 and August 2018 (“the Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. A Consultant will be selected in accordance with Paragraph 7.36 to 7.37 of the Procurement Regulations.
The remuneration package for this position is attractive and it will be determined based on qualification, experience and previous remunerations for similar assignments.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 09:00 to 16:00 hours.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) no later than 16:30pm of Monday, 03rd April 2023.
Attn: Chief Executive Officer
Ministry of Finance
Nuku'alofa Tonga Islands
Tel: +6767400700 / 28550
slolo [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to
sfaletau [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to
CC: mfatukala [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to
CC: fatukala [at] gmail [dot] com
INSTRUCTION FOR SUBMISSION: Please limit your CV and Cover letter in five (5) pages addressing each of the Selection Criteria with exact details.