GOVERNMENT OF TONGA
Ministry of Finance, Central Services Unit
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
INDIVIDUAL CONSULTING SERVICES
• Environmental and Social Safeguards Officer
Assignment Title: Environmental and Social (E&S) Safeguards Officer ( Full Time Position).
Project: Tonga Skills and Employment for Tongans Project.
Grant Number: IDA D3660-TO/TF A7984
Date of Issuance: 01st February 2023
Date and time Expression of Interest (EOI) due: Friday, 17th February 2023. No later than 16:30 pm local time
Email Submission of EOI: Please email to: mfatukala [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and slolo [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and copy to: sfaletau [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to
Attn.: Chief Executive Officer, Ministry of Finance
Reference Number: TO-MFNP-327936-CS-INDV
The Kingdom of Tonga has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Skills and Employment for Tongans (SET) Project, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services. The Ministry of Finance has established the Central Services Unit (CSU), as a monitoring unit to provide support to the preparation and implementation of all World Bank Projects. The CSU is staffed with the specialists in different fields (Procurement, Safeguards, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), Financial Management (FM), Communication, Engineering and Contract Management.
The consulting services (“the Services”) include the recruitment of the Environmental and Social (E&S) Safeguards Officer, among others. The overall responsibility of the consultant is to work under the supervision and guidance of the CSU E&S Specialist and E&S international consultant towards their core function of proactively working with all project management units and relevant IAs, to ensure the E&S risk management arrangements successful support the delivery of all project development objectives.
This is a full-time position (may be extended based on needs and performance of the consultant) to provide support to multiple projects. Expected start date of the position is March 2023.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be obtain from this email address: fatukala [at] gmail [dot] com
The Ministry of Finance now invites eligible individuals (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services (attach curriculum vitae with description of qualifications, experience in similar assignments, similar conditions, etc.).
The criteria for selecting the Consultant are:
The E&S Officer must have:
- A university degree in environmental science/ management, social studies, anthropology or another relevant field;
- Have at least 2 years of field working experience in environmental monitoring, construction management, community engagement and management planning, monitoring in urban infrastructure projects or related field.
- Working in a project environment
- Medium skills in oral and written communication
- Previous knowledge and experience of communication methodologies and practices
- Ability to understand and translate Tonga’s contemporary development and environmental challenges, which would include developing a good working knowledge of Tongan social and environmental legislation.
- Understanding of Tongan culture and traditional governance structures are highly desirable.
- Knowledge of occupational, health and safety (OH&S) risks and management appropriate to construction sites and infrastructure development.
- Applicants must have the legal right to work in Tonga at the time of application.
- Applicants that are civil servants of Tonga at the time of application are ineligible to apply.
CVs of eligible candidates that meet the minimum requirements will be scored according to the following criteria:
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 3.14, 3.16 and 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers, dated July 2016, revised November 2017 and August 2018 (“the Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. A Consultant will be selected in accordance with Paragraph 7.36 to 7.37 of the Procurement Regulations.
The remuneration package for this position is attractive and it will be determined based on qualifications, experience and previous remunerations for similar assignments.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 09:00 to 16:00 hours.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) no later than 16:30pm of Friday, 17th February 2023.
Attn: Chief Executive Officer
Ministry of Finance, Nuku’alofa Tonga Islands, Tel: +676 740-0700
E-mail: mfatukala [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and slolo [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and copy to: sfaletau [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to
INSTRUCTION FOR SUBMISSION:
Please limit your CV and Cover letter in five (5) pages addressing each of the Selection Criteria with exact details.