GOVERNMENT OF TONGA
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL)
Technical Adviser – Roads
Project: Tonga Climate Resilient Transport Project II (TCRTP II)
Grant No.: D911-TO
Assignment Title: Technical Adviser – Roads
Reference No. (as per Procurement Plan): MOI-IC2-04
The Government of Tonga has secured financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Tonga Climate Resilient Transport Project II (TCRTPII). The Project development objective is to “to improve the climate resilience and safety of the Recipient’s transport sector, and, in case of an Eligible Crisis or Emergency, respond promptly and effectively to it”.
The Ministry of Infrastructure is the Implementing Agency for the TCRTP II and is responsible for the achievement of the Project Development Objective and the implementing of works and securing services and goods in order to effectively and efficiently implement the Project.
The Ministry now seeks services of a Technical Adviser - Roads to provide technical advice and support to the Land Transport Division (LTD), MOI, in all aspects of the TCRTP and TCRTP II road program and of the LTD services . It is anticipated that the consultant will commence as soon as possible for a total of 12 months full-time in-country, with the possibility of 12 months extension based on performance. The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be found at the following link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rbMcdkA0ZeAFNmXrN8GKFXSk-XtJOm6f?usp=share_link
The TCRTP II now invites eligible consultants (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Service. Interested Consultants should provide the following information: 1.
- A statement addressing the selection criteria.
- An updated (CV) demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
- A list of 3 referees with contact details.
The selection criteria are:
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering (highway engineering), or other relevant discipline from a recognized institution;
- At least fifteen (15) years’ experience in road maintenance works design, compliance and enforcement of specifications and supervision;
- In depth knowledge of contract management of FIDIC types contracts;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with initiative;
- Excellent communication skills in English including well-developed report-writing skills;
- High degree of computer literacy (e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Microsoft Project);
- Willingness to travel within Tonga (i.e. to the outer-islands);
- Demonstrated experience in road works, of at least ten (10) years in a developing country context.
- Experience with donor funded projects;
- Demonstrated work experience in Tonga or the Pacific Islands;
- Experience in the road department/division of a government or a city/town council
Candidates are responsible for ensuring their eligibility for the position. The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs, 3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the World Bank’s “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” dated: November 2020 (“the Regulations”) setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. In addition, please refer to the following specific information on conflict of interest.
A firm is eligible to nominate an individual – however, note that only the experience and qualifications of the nominated individual shall be used in the selection process, and that (their) corporate experience shall not be taken into account. The firm, if proposing an individual must specify whether the contract would be signed with the firm or the proposed individual.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Selection of Individual Consultants (INDV) method set out in the Procurement Regulations.
Please submit your Expressions of interest either by delivery or email to address below no later than 20th December 2022 at 4:30pm Tongan time. Your submission should be clearly marked “Expression of Interest for Technical Adviser - Roads, Contract Reference MOI-IC2-04”
Attention: Mr. Sila VaEnuku,
Email: procurement [at] tcrtp [dot] to
Address: Ministry of Infrastructure, By-pass Road, Vaololoa, Tongatapu