TONGA NATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND ACCREDITATION BOARD
Principal Qualification Officer
The Tonga National Qualifications and Accreditation Board (TNQAB) invites interested qualified candidates to apply for the vacant post.
|Post Title||# of Vacancies|
|Principal Qualification Officer (PQO)||1|
Position Title: Principal Qualification Officer
Salary: Band H
Range: $36,338 – $54,508 (TOP)
This position is responsible for effective coordination of the Quality Assurance Division, planning and effective implementation of quality assurance processes and monitoring to ensure efficient delivery of Board’s services to non-degree and degree programmes in post compulsory education and training providers.
The Principal Qualifications Officer (Quality Assurance Division) is one of four PQOs reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer and the Deputy CEO and is a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT). SMT is charged with maintaining the strategic direction of TNQAB and delivering on the Corporate Plan and Annual Management Plan that meet the requirements of the Board. The role has, in conjunction with the CEO, responsibility for maintaining excellent stakeholder relationships and provides advice on Tonga’s quality assurance in post-compulsory education and training (PCET) to the TNQAB Board and Minister(s). TNQAB has a particular focus on client responsiveness and this is a cornerstone expectation of the SMT.
The Principal Qualifications Officer (Quality Assurance Division) (PQO-QA) has the primary responsibility for leading, providing strategic direction, and managing the Division, whilst ensuring that the work of the Division supports the delivery of TNQAB’s corporate plan and outcomes. The PQO-QA is responsible for ensuring that high-quality service is provided relating to the development and maintenance of Tonga Qualifications Framework (TQF), processes and associated activities relevant to Tonga’s post-compulsory education and training sector.
The PQO-QA has also the primary responsibility for quality assuring all programmes of studies in the PCET system and ensuring robust assessment practice to maintain the integrity of the qualification.
The position will work closely with the CEO and Deputy CEO to enhance the reputation of TNQAB with key stakeholders. Positions in the TNQAB change over time as the organisation develops. We are therefore committed to maintaining a flexible organisational structure that best enables us to meet changing economy and customer needs.
i. Qualifications & Work Experiences
- A Master’s degree in quality assurance or related field or sub-field from a recognized Tertiary Institution, with at least 3 year working experiences in a quality assurance agency or
- Bachelor degree in quality assurance or related field or subfield from a recognized Tertiary Institution with at least 7 years of working experiences.
ii. Technical Competencies:
- Proficiency in evaluation and analysis of registration and accreditation applications
- Sound knowledge of quality assurance processes
- Demonstrated advanced relevant computing skills in Microsoft Office applications;
- Is analytical, proactive, innovative and able to conceptualize strategic issues faced by the Authority and apply appropriate and cost-effective solutions; and
- Demonstrated sound knowledge in quality assurance processes and Quality Management Systems development.
iii. Professional Attributes
- Excellent nature in working as a team– Team work
- Excellent Planning Skills – Planning
- Flexible and Approachable – Relationship
- Fluent in both oral and writing, both Tongan and English – Communication
- High standard of skills in servicing clients – Client Focus
- High analytical skills (ability to think analytically) –
- Excellent Work Ethics
- High problem solving knowledge and skills – Problem Solving
- Sound planning and delivery capability developed in areas where timeliness and quality are paramount and workload is high
- Experience in working at the level of an Executive Management Team
- Well-developed people relationship and communication skills encompassing influence and persuasion, negotiation and presentation. The ability to interact / work with people from a wide range of backgrounds and cultural diversity
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting equitable outcomes for every learners
- Proven capability in recognizing and addressing the needs and interests of people from a wide range of backgrounds
- A demonstrated ability to lead and apply innovative means of leading complex processes while displaying an adaptive and responsive approach to changing needs
- Integrity, and a track record of treating people fairly and with dignity
- Understanding of the ethical principles to avoid conflicts of interest and to maintain political and interpersonal neutrality
- Demonstrated ability to handle ambiguity
- Demonstrated energy and enthusiasm for the work, acting as a positive role model for employees and colleagues Interested applicants are required to submit their application form, current CV, certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts with a signed covering letter responding to the vacant post, and in particulars of two referees.
The Application Form and Job Description can be obtained from TNQAB office front desk, during working hours, from 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday, or downloaded from TNQAB website, www.tnqab.to . Alternatively, you can request via email to: fono [at] tnqab [dot] to
All applications must be received no later than 4:30pm, 15th December 2022. An incomplete application will be disqualified, and only a complete applications will proceed for short listing. Only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.
All applications must be addressed to:
Chief Executive Officer
Tonga National Qualifications and Accreditation Board,
Molisi City Central, Level 1