GOVERNMENT OF TONGA
Two (2) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Positions
The Government of Tonga’s strategic vision for the future delivery of public services is aimed at streamlining its organizational platform to better deliver more efficient and effective public services for the people of Tonga. To help achieve this aim, the Government of Tonga seeks to appoint the following:
Government Statistician or Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for the Department of Statistics
Chief Executive Officer for the Ministry of Revenue and Customs
Applications are welcomed from individuals who possess outstanding strategic thinking capacity, demonstrated leadership capability and superior management skills. Government CEOs are integral in supporting a productive and sustainable Public Service as Tonga continues its path towards constitutional reform. The CEO role is particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
The roles will work closely with their responsible Ministers and central agencies, not only as Chief Executive Officer, but also in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment in services and programs. High orders of communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential, as is a demonstrated track record of effective resource management.
Essential skills required of the advertised CEO role will be to:
- Provide the Minister with high quality policy and program development advice
- Drive strategic planning and resource management accountabilities
- Provide executive direction to professional, technical, and operational teams
- Identify improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost to government
- Lead implementation of organizational & system changes to improve productivity
- Model cross-Ministry and whole of government collaboration to ensure high standards of communication and customer service
Term of appointment: Contract term of up to four (4) years.
Remuneration: Based on the Government of Tonga, CEO Remuneration package.
Job Reference: Government Statistician
The Government Statistician is responsible to the Prime Minister of Tonga for implementing the Statistics Act. As a Government Statistician, its main purpose is to ensure that the Statistics Department develops a comprehensive statistical information system to serve the needs of economic, social developing, planning and management of the Kingdom. To also comply with the Accountability and functions of CEOS as outlined in Section 13A and 13B of the Public Service Act 2010 (as amended).
Specifically, the purpose of the role is to:
- Ensure that high quality statistics are provided on a timely basis to aid evidence-based decision making
- Provide advice and enhance capacity support to organisations/ agencies in relation to collection and compilation of data
- Provide advice and assistance to Government Ministries in relation to Statistics
CEO for Revenue and Customs
Job Reference: CEO Revenue and Customs
The Chief Executive Officer of Revenue and Customs is responsible to the Minister of Revenue and Customs for implementing the Revenue Services Administration Act 2000, Revenue Services Administration Act 2002, Income Tax ACT, Customs and Excise Act, Consumption Tax Act 2004 and all revenue related taxation and ensuring the timely and comprehensive collection of government revenues.
As a Chief Executive Officer for the Ministry of Revenue and Customs, the Chief Executive Officer is responsible for the provision of leadership and direction to the administrative, operational and broader functions and activities of the Ministry.
Specifically, the purpose of the role is to:
- provide executive direction to professional and administrative staff in delivery of a broad range of revenue administration programs and services, ensuring development of a strong client centred advisory focus
- provide appropriate strategic policy advice to the Minister of Revenue and Customs, through to Cabinet regarding approaches to more effective administration and enhanced compliance
- Lead systemic reform processes across the Ministry to implement improved service, communication and enforcement.
Experience and Qualification–
- Relevant postgraduate (Level 8 TNQAB framework: postgraduate (postgraduate Diploma/BA with honours + 10) (MA + 6) (PHD + 4) qualification + considerable senior leadership experience
- Relevant degree + considerable senior leadership experience in complex organisations, preferably in Government or regional or international agencies
- Current TPS employee with 10 years’ experience in a similar role (meeting other core competency and experience requirements specified in the job description + PMS scores of 3 or above for the past 2 consecutive years)
How to Apply:-
- Applicants who possess most of the qualities described under the essential skills, accountabilities, experience and qualification for the CEO position should request an Application Information Kit. An Application Information Kit can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Public Service Commission on +676 7400300, or email ceomatters [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to.
- Applications should be forwarded to the following address by 4:30pm on 11 July, 2022.
Public Service Commission
Old PMO’s Building
- Candidates should refer to the Application Information Kit in preparing an application, ensuring that all requirements are satisfied. Incomplete documentation may prevent proper consideration of the application. Given the brevity of time, signed emailed applications will be acceptable. Email applications should be forwarded to ceomatters [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to by the closing date.