Government of Tonga
Ministry of Finance
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
INDIVIDUAL CONSULTING SERVICES
Engineer / Contract Management (ECM Specialist) full time
Engineer / Contract Management (ECM Specialist) part-time positions
Assignment Title: Engineer/ Contract Management (ECM) Specialist (4 Positions: 1 Full-time Position and 3 Part-time Positions)
Project: Tonga Skills and Employment for Tongans Project.
Grant Number: IDA D3660-TO/TF A7984
Date of Issuance: 21st April 2021
Date and time Expression of Interest (EOI) due: 20th May 2021. No later than 16:30 local time
Email Submission of EOI: Please email to: ebaker [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and copy to: amuteteli [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and stvaenuku [at] gmail [dot] com
Attn: Chief Executive Officer, Ministry of Finance
Reference Number: TO-MFNP-211787-CS-INDV
The Kingdom of Tonga has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Skills and Employment for Tongans (SET) Project, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services. The Ministry of Finance has established the Central Services Unit (CSU), as a monitoring unit to provide support to the preparation and implementation of all World Bank Projects. The CSU is staffed with the specialists in different fields (Procurement, Safeguards, Monitoring and Evaluation, Financial Management, Communication, Engineering/Contract Management, etc).
The consulting services (“the Services”) include the recruitment of the Civil Engineer and Contract Management Specialists, among others. The overall responsibility of the consultant is to proactively work with all relevant Implementing Agencies (IAs) in the area of engineering and contract management so that the projects deliver Value for Money (VfM) in achieving the different Project Development Objectives.
These 4 positions are for 2 years (may be extended based on needs and performance of the consultant) to provide support to multiple projects. Expected start date of the position is June 2021. Please indicate your interest for Full-time or Part-time positions or for both. MOF’s first priority is to fill the full-time position. Once the full-time position is filled, applicants who have expressed interest in part-time positions (including those who were also interested in full-time positions) will be assessed for part-time roles.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be found at the following link:
The Ministry of Finance now invites eligible individuals (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services (attach curriculum vitae with description of qualifications, experience in similar assignments, similar conditions, etc.).
The criteria for selecting the Consultant are:
- Qualification: At least a BSc in engineering (Civil Engineering preferred), or other relevant discipline from a recognized institution; (20%)
- Recent experience in developing and reviewing engineering design, development of specification, and scope of work; (20%)
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ work experience in a civil engineering and/or infrastructure project with responsibilities as mentioned in the Scope of Service above that closed on time and budget; (20%)
- Demonstrated experience in using Project Planning and Management Software e.g. Microsoft Project or similar (applicants should mention the software they have competencies on); (10%)
- Experience from countries that will benefit and enrich the knowledge of Tongan engineers and build local capacity; (10%)
- At least 5 years of experience in administering civil works contracts, including FIDIC types of contract. (20%)
- Willingness to travel to remote islands and stay there for as much time as required to support projects implementation (for consultants in-country). For part-time consultants, willingness to travel to Tonga and/or act in the FT role, should circumstances require it, is considered desirable;
- Demonstrated ability to build effective relationships and communicate effectively with stakeholders, with people of different cultural backgrounds, and varying technical skill levels;
- Demonstrated ability to develop training materials.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 3.14, 3.16 and 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers, dated July 2016, revised November 2017 (“the Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. A Consultant will be selected in accordance with Paragraph 7.36 to 7.37 of the Procurement Regulations.
The remuneration package for this position is attractive and it will be determined based on qualifications, experience and previous remunerations for similar assignments.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 09:00 to 16:00 hours.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) no later than 4:30pm on Thursday, 20th May, 2021.
Attn: Chief Executive Officer
Ministry of Finance, Nuku’alofa Tonga Islands, Tel: +676 23-066
E-mail: ebaker [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and copy to: amuteteli [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and stvaenuku [at] gmail [dot] com
INSTRUCTION FOR SUBMISSION: Please limit your CV and Cover letter to five (5) pages addressing the Selection Criteria with exact details.