GOVERNMENT OF TONGA
MINISTRY OF FINANCE
Request for Expressions of Interest
Individual Consulting Services
Assignment Title: Program Manager, Central Services Unit
Project: Tonga Skills and Employment for Tongans Project
Grant Number: IDA D3660-TO/TF A7984
Date of Issuance: 22 December 2020
Date and time Expression of Interest (EOI) due: 29th January, 2021. No later than 16:30 local time. Extended from 15th January to 29th January.
Email Submission of EOI: Please email to: recruitments [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and copy to: ebaker [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and stvaenuku [at] gmail [dot] com
Attn: Chief Executive Officer, Ministry of Finance
Reference Number: TO-MFNP-209829-CS-INDV
The Kingdom of Tonga has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Skills and Employment for Tongans (SET) Project, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services.
The consulting services (“the Services”) include managing the CSU in such a way that it effectively delivers across two broad services areas: (i) project preparation and implementation support, and (ii) capacity building. The position is a leadership role aimed at ensuring service and capacity building support to development partner financed projects, with the Program Manager required to proactively work with and help Implementing Agencies deliver their respective Project Development Objectives. Currently the development partner financed projects are those financed by the World Bank and may expand to projects financed by other development partners in future.
The Program Manager is responsible for the overall coordination of CSU’s services to the Projects, quality control, performance management of CSU staff, resource management, periodic reporting on the CSU’s overall performance on service and capacity building functions, relationship management with various implementing agencies (project management units), ministries and the development partners.
This is a full-time position until September 30, 2023 to provide support to multiple projects. Expected start of the position is March 2021.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be obtained at the address given below.
The Ministry of Finance now invites eligible individuals (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services (attach curriculum vitae with description of qualifications, experience in similar assignments, similar conditions, etc.).
The criteria for selecting the Consultant are:
Academic Background and Relevant Experience
- Minimum Education: Master’s level or Bachelors level (dependent on years of relevant experience - with a major in a relevant discipline e.g., Project Management, Engineering, Law, Procurement, Finance, Business or Commerce). (20%)
- Minimum Years of relevant experience as defined by technical or management positions in large donor funded projects: 10 years for Master’s Level, 15 years for Bachelors level holders. (20%)
- Proven experience in Project management and delivery in a challenging and multi-stakeholder environment. Challenging and multi-stakeholder environment is defined by low capacity implementing agency, managing highly technical team members, challenging project deliverables, coordination and reporting relationship with multiple ministries / stakeholders. (30%)
- Breadth of experience in project management in different geographic locations by continents. (20%)
- Having proven innovation in project implementation activities; e.g., process improvement, quality improvement, use of technology, management and relationship improvement etc. (10%)
- Experience with Development Bank (World Bank/ Asian Development Bank etc.) financed projects, processes and procedures is an advantage.
Essential Specialized Skills/Knowledge/Competencies
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a diverse culture and multidisciplinary team.
- Clear understanding of project management, project objective, results framework, implementation challenges, monitoring and evaluation of performance.
- Knowledge of general principles of procurement, financial management, and safeguards requirements, policies and practices.
- Proficient in developing work plan, resource plan, budget, operation manual.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritization of tasks to meet deadlines, resource allocation to meet budget and quality expectations, conflict resolution.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and persuasiveness in presenting, discussing and resolving difficult issues.
- Effective team leader, understands group dynamics and management techniques.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 3.14, 3.16 and 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers, July 2016 (“the Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. A Consultant will be selected in accordance with Paragraph 7.36 to 7.37 of the Procurement Regulations.
The remuneration package for this position is attractive and it will be determined based on qualifications and previous remunerations for similar assignments.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TORs) for the assignment can be found at the following link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bS4yKknY5Ek3pCVIG0UDCfrO0EIOSXoV/view?usp=sharing
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 09:00 to 16:30 hours.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) no later than 4:30pm of Friday, 29th January, 2021.
Attn: Chief Executive Officer
Ministry of Finance, Nuku’alofa Tonga Islands, Tel: +676 23-066
E-mail: recruitments [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and copy to: ebaker [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and stvaenuku [at] gmail [dot] com
INSTRUCTION FOR SUBMISSION: Please limit your CV and Cover letter in five (5) pages addressing the Selection Criteria with exact details.