KINGDOM OF TONGA
JUDICIAL APPOINTMENTS AND DISCIPLINE PANEL
Invitation to Lodge Expression of Interest
Commissioner of Police
Deadline: 5:00PM on Friday 21 February 2020
The Kingdom of Tonga is seeking expressions of interest from experienced persons who wish to be considered for appointment as Commissioner of Police in the Kingdom of Tonga. This position is now available.
To be eligible for appointment a candidate must have had at least 10 years’ experience at a senior police administration level.
Under the Tonga Police Act 2010, the Commissioner has overall command, supervision and control of Tonga Police. The ideal candidate should possess extensive experience in the administration of policing services and operations, and a proven track record in managing the delivery of effective police operations and services.
In assessing applicants, regard will be given to the following criteria:
- Previous police experience;
- Personal characteristics including reputation for integrity, reliability and police administration/executive skills;
- Character references attesting to the candidate’s suitability for the position;
- Experience in police services at a senior administration level;
- Knowledge and understanding of the law consistent with the functions of Tonga Police, including police operational and governance issues;
- Record of professional achievement and public service;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Ability to make independent and impartial decisions;
- Ability to lead and maintain a capable and cohesive management team;
- Management of incidents including those that challenge or threaten national security;
- Ability to foster and oversee effective working partnerships with the community including society groups, and regional and international agencies;
- Proven organizational management and mentoring capabilities, in particular the development of professional police personnel;
- Effective written and oral communication skills; and
- Impartial leader with integrity, able to inspire respect and confidence.
Anyone lodging an expression of interest is asked to provide full personal particulars; a detailed curriculum vitae; and any further material relevant to eligibility or the criteria for appointment. At least two professional references and two character references should also be provided together with contact details of those persons. Terms and conditions will be provided to applicants who are shortlisted.
Expressions of interest should be sent by e-mail to Mr. Viliami Malolo, Lord Privy Seal at lpseal4 [at] gmail [dot] com to be received in Tonga no later than 5:00pm on Friday, 21 February 2020. All expressions of interest will be treated in the strictest confidence.