The 2018 Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme
Open for Tongan Nationals
Deadline for submission will be Thursday, 29th March 2018
The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme (JET program) offers opportunity to enhance internationalization in Japan by promoting mutual understanding between the people of Japan and those of other nations. The objectives of the Programme are being achieved by offering JET Programme participants (hereinafter, participants) the opportunity to serve in local authorities as well as public and private primary and junior high schools in Japan.
This year, 44 countries including Tonga have been invited to participate in the Programme. The Programme is conducted by local authorities and other organizations of Japan in cooperation with the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, and the Council of Local Authorities for International Relations.
The Embassy of Japan in Tonga seeks one (1) Tongan national to participate in the program under the Assistant Language Teachers of English positions.
Participant from Tonga will be assigned to primary and junior high schools in Nagato City, Yamaguchi Prefecture in Japan to carry out their duties under the guidance of Japanese teachers of English.
Participants will serve for a one-year period. Therefore, remuneration as well as the cost of transportation from Tonga to Japan will be funded by tax payers of the contracting organization where the participant is appointed.
Participants who are mainly assigned to boards of education, elementary and junior high schools are to carry out their duties as ALTs under the guidance of language teachers’ consultants or Japanese teachers of the foreign language as specified by the supervisor and/or principal of the board of education and/or school. The following is a general outline of duties, though they may vary from on Contracting Organization to another.
- Assistance in foreign language classes, etc. taught in elementary and junior high schools.
- Assistance in foreign language activities, etc. in elementary schools.
- Assistance in preparation of materials for teaching a foreign language.
- Assistance in the language training for teachers of a foreign language, etc.
- Assistance in extracurricular activities and club activities (see Note 1).
- Provision of information on language and other related subjects for people such as Teachers' Consultants and foreign language teachers (e.g. word usage, pronunciation, etc.).
- Assistance in foreign language speech contests.
- Engagement in local international exchange activities.
- Other duties as deemed necessary by the supervisor or the school principal.
Interested applicants are most welcome to apply, but must comply with the following requirements.
- Application forms as well as other documents necessary for applying can be obtained from the Embassy of Japan Office, 5th floor of the National Reserve Bank of Tonga.
- Deadline for submission will be Thursday, 29th March 2018 and only successful applicants will be contacted.
- For further information about JET program, please visit the Embassy’s web site http://www.ton.emb-japan.go.jp/files/000331013.pdf or visit www.jetprogramme.org/
For further enquires please contact: Ms Yoko Tochihara, Embassy of Japan in Tonga.
Level 5, National Reserve Bank of Tonga Building / Telephone: 22-221 / Fax 27-025