22 Masilamea homes built, but not finished [1]
Tuesday, January 31, 2023 - 19:25. Updated on Tuesday, January 31, 2023 - 19:27.
By Tupou Vaipulu
Twenty-two houses are now standing at Masilamea (Atata Si’i) in the new settlement built for the displaced families of Atata. It’s been a year, two weeks and one day since the catastrophic tsunami destroyed their island village life on of January 15 2022.
The Minister of Infrastructure, Hon. Sevenitini Toumo’ua, told a press conference yesterday, 30 January, that all 22 units had been established, along with water, electricity and solar lights.
“This new village’s construction program and structure is very new and different” he said. “We’ve also provided a supply of water, electricity and solar power.”
Not completed
However, although all 22 houses are standing, it was confirmed today from the people of Atata Si’i , that more than five houses are yet to have electricity and/or water supplies connected.
One of those units has no interior contents, which should include a sink, toilet and shower.
“We wish to move into our house but, it’s not ready yet” Otulangi Hafoka, a resident, told Matangi Tonga Online today at Masilamea.
“Our house has no electricity or water and not even a sink or toilet” she said.
There were some complaints but, gratitude and happiness were also present.
A couple said that they were grateful to have a roof over their heads, although they had been facing some problems with their new home as well.
Many of the homes have been constructed over the last month.
On 21 December 2022, Princess Angelika Latufuipeka Tuku’aho commissioned and toured the first of the one-bedroom units to be completed.
Ha‘apai
Meanwhile, construction of new settlements is ongoing in Ha’apai Group that was also impacted by the tsunamis, after the Hunga-Tonga Hunga-Ha’apai volcanic eruption a year ago.
The Minister said that Government is now working towards shipping all the supplies needed for construction at Tungua, Nomuka and Fonoi this week.