GOVERNMENT OF TONGA
Public Service Commission
Chief Executive Officer for the Ministry of Public Enterprises
The Government of Tonga’s strategic vision for the future delivery of public services is aimed at streamlining its organizational platform to better deliver more efficient and effective public services for the people of Tonga. To help achieve this aim, the Government of Tonga seeks to appoint the following:
1. Chief Executive Officer for the Ministry of Public Enterprises
Applications are welcomed from individuals who possess outstanding strategic thinking capacity, demonstrated leadership capability and superior management skills. Government CEOs are integral in supporting a productive and sustainable Public Service as Tonga continues its path towards constitutional reform. The CEO role is particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
The role will work closely with their responsible Ministers and central agencies, not only as Chief Executive Officer, but also in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment in services and programs. High orders of communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential, as is a demonstrated track record of effective resource management.
Essential skills required of the advertised CEO roles will be to:
- Provide the Minister with high quality policy and program development advice
- Drive strategic planning and resource management accountabilities
- Provide executive direction to professional, technical, and operational teams
- Identify improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost to government
- Lead implementation of organizational & system changes to improve productivity
- Model cross-Ministry and whole of government collaboration to ensure high standards of communication and customer service
Term of appointment: Contract term of up to four (4) years.
Remuneration: Based on the Government of Tonga, CEO Remuneration package.
Chief Executive Officer for Public Enterprises
The Ministry of Public Enterprises delivers a number of services on behalf of Government including:
- Monitoring and ensuring improved performance of public enterprises
- Overseeing the planning and corporatizing of public enterprises
- Planning and organizing the privatizing of public enterprises
- Developing and maintaining good corporate governance practices in government’s businesses and the Ministry
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible to the Minister of Public Enterprises for implementing government policies and decisions, and for managing the administrative functions and operation activities of the Ministry.
Specifically, the purpose of the role is to:
- Ensure public enterprises practice good corporate governance and comply with the requirement of the Public Enterprises Act 2002, Companies Act 1995 and specific legislation
- Provide policy advice to government in relation to current public enterprises performance, the establishment of new government businesses, and the privatising of existing enterprises where viable
- Implement government policies on public enterprises and ensure these contribute to the continuing development of the private sector, the improvement of the public sector and government budgetary allocations.
Experience and Qualification -
• Relevant degree qualification + considerable senior leadership experience in a complex organization, preferably in Government or regional or international agency or company as follows;
- PHD + 4 years senior leadership experience,
- Masters + 6 years senior leadership experience,
- Bachelors with Honors or Post Graduate Diploma + 10 years senior leadership experience,
- Bachelors + more than 10 years senior leadership experience.
How to Apply -
Applicants who possess most of the qualities described under the essential skills, accountabilities, experience and qualification to any of the CEO position should request an Application Information Kit. An Application Information Kit can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Public Service Commission on +676 7400300, or email ceomatters [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to.
Applications for the CEO position should be forwarded to the address below by 4:30pm on 09 October 2023.
Public Service Commission,
PSC Building - Old PMO Grounds,
Candidates should refer to the Application Information Kit in preparing an application, ensuring that all requirements are satisfied. Incomplete documentation may prevent proper consideration of the application. Given the brevity of time, signed emailed applications will be acceptable. Email applications should be forwarded to ceomatters [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to by the closing date.