Announcement: Employment Opportunity
Programme Assistant: Alcohol control
The World Health Organization (WHO) is seeking a qualified individual to serve as a programme assistant for alcohol control in Tonga. The successful applicant will be assigned to the WHO Country Liaison Office in Tonga and the Tonga Ministry of Health (MOH).
- To support the MOH to:
- develop policy, system and environmental changes that reduce the harmful use of alcohol in Tonga;
- develop, monitor implementation of, and refine plans to further policy and system for alcohol control guided by the WHO Best Buys and the Pacific Monitoring Alliance for NCD Action (MANA) dashboard indictors and commitments including alcohol licensing, taxation, marketing restrictions, and drink driving;
- organize and facilitate relevant alcohol control-related trainings, workshops, consultations and other activities for topics including alcohol policy, risk awareness, and brief interventions;
- develop and implement research projects, targeted field surveys and public participatory exercises to provide evidence in support of effective alcohol control activities and strategies;
- facilitate data collation for national, regional and global reporting requirements related to alcohol control;
- develop and implement a strategic communication plan for alcohol control;
- Provide regular updates and quarterly reports to the MOH and WHO regarding progress and status of the alcohol harm reduction workplan implementation; and
- Support implementation of any additional duties as identified by the supervisor(s).
The signatory will primarily work under the direction of and will report to the Country Liaison Officer, WHO Country Liaison Office, Tonga and report technically to the Medical Officer in Charge of Health Promotion Unit under the Tonga Ministry of Health.
Experience and skill required:
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, environmental health, or related field
- Strong written communication and public speaking skills and experience with varied audiences
- Experience in NCD prevention, environmental health, and/or alcohol control
- Experience working with non-governmental and development partner organizations preferred
Experience and skills preferred:
- Experience in public health research and policy development
- Experience working in the Tonga Ministry of Health or health sector preferred
Details of the proposed position:
- Salary for this position will be based on qualifications and experience
- Duration of position: 1 year (with possible extension)
- The person will be provided office space and necessary office equipment in the Tonga Ministry of Health.
Timing of Appointment:
This vacancy announcement will close on 30 November 2020 at 16:30pm Tonga time. A qualified individual is sought to begin immediately.
Applicants interested in interviewing for this position should submit a cover letter and resume/CV by e-mail to the following address:
Office of the WHO Representative, Tonga
Email: wptonclo [at] who [dot] int
Phone: + 676 23 217