ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK (ADB)
Senior Economics Officer
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
The position is assigned in The Pacific Subregional Office (SPSO) within the Pacific Department. The department is in charge of client relationships with 14 Pacific developing member countries, and SPSO handles country programming, processing, and implementation of projects for Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Tonga, Samoa, and Tuvalu.
As part of the Economics and Programming Unit (EPU) team in SPSO, the Senior Economics Officer will be responsible for:
- supporting economic analysis and reporting on economic outcomes;
- country programming; and
- processing and administering loan, grant and technical assistance projects in one or more of the ADB member countries covered by SPSO (Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Samoa, Tonga and Tuvalu).
The incumbent will report to the designated international staff, SPSO.
- Conducts analysis for ADB’s economic, thematic and sector work, and contributes to publications and knowledge products, including the Asian Development Outlook/Update and Pacific Economic Monitor.
- Undertakes policy dialogue on the topics of economics and public financial management with Government counterparts and other stakeholders, in close cooperation with development partners.
- Supports annual Asian Development Fund (ADF) country performance assessment exercise.
Project Processing and Administration:
- Provides support and advice on ADB-financed loan, grant, and technical assistance projects in the economic and public financial management areas in the Pacific region.
- Participates in and leads selected project processing and administration missions.
- Monitors projects and reports on portfolio performance.
- Liaises with and trains counterparts in executing agencies on project implementation and administration matters.
- Coordinates with governments regarding project operations.
- Ensures compliance with ADB’s procurement and disbursement policies and procedures.
Country Programming and Others:
- Prepares documentation and information required for country programming activities.
- Participates in and leads selected country programming and country portfolio review missions.
- Coordinates with development partners to identify opportunities for joint or coordinated work.
- Performs other duties according to the workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field, preferably in economics, business administration, finance or accounting. A Master’s degree, or equivalent, would be an advantage.
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in economics and public policy formulation, project processing and administration, or country programming, preferably with an international organization or national government.
- Experience working in multiple countries with government organizations, fiscal and economic management agencies, and multilateral development institutions would be an advantage.
- Ability to take initiative, make decisions and work independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Familiarity with Pacific countries and institutions.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of the PARD DMCs namely: Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of Marshall Islands, Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Timor-Leste, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
To apply, visit www.adb.org/careers/180030.
Deadline for application is on 16 February 2018.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.