Search underway for missing Nukunuku fisherman [1]
Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 23:21
A search and rescue operation is underway for a 63-year-old fisherman from Nukunuku who is missing after heading out to Malinoa Island on Monday, 11 May.
Police in Nuku’alofa said today the man, whose name they did not release, was reported missing by his family on Wednesday, 13 May.
He left on Monday at 11:00am in a 25ft green and grey coloured boat with 40-horsepower engine from Patangata to Malinoa for a day fishing trip.
Tonga Navy and Coastal Radio have been advised but no contacts have been made so far with the missing fisherman. Local authorities will continue the search and rescue while informing his family during this difficult time, said the police spokesperson.