Chief Executive Officer
Tonga Airports Limited (TAL) was established in 2007 under the Companies Act 1995, a wholly owned public enterprise (PE) of the Government of Tonga. From the commercial and shareholder’s perspectives, TAL is required by the PE Act, section 4 to operate as a successful business and, to this end, to be as profitable and efficient as comparable businesses that are not state owned. TAL was also established as a commercial entity, (the PE), to ensure it built up its financial capacity and capabilities to keep and maintain all safety and security requirements at satisfactorily level or full compliance.
TAL has been designated by the regulator (CAD) as an Airport Operator in Tonga to manage and operate the six airports in the Kingdom including Fua’amotu International Airport, Lupepau’u Airport, Salote Pilolevu Airport, Kaufana Airport, Lavinia Airport and Mata’aho Airport.
TAL must perform these airport services prescribed under the Tonga Civil Aviation Rules including but not limited to, Part 139, Part 140, Part 171, Part 172, Part 175 and 19F, accordingly and taking into account the provisions of the Tonga Civil Aviation Act 2014 and the Tonga Civil Aviation Rules, including subsequent amendments thereto.
Job Terms and Conditions:
Appointment will be governed by a Performance Based Contract for an initial term of up to four (4) years, which may be renewed for a further maximum (4) year term subject to satisfactorily performance.
Remuneration will be based on the Public Enterprises Chief Executive Officer’s new Remuneration package approved by respective Boards of Directors and the Ministry of Public Enterprise.
Purposes of role:
The purpose of the Chief Executive Officer shall be generally to lead, manage, organize, control, and monitor the operations of TAL for the purpose of achieving the principal objectives of TAL as directed by the Board of Directors.
Specific purpose of the role is to:
- Making major corporate decisions, managing the overall operations and resources of TAL, acting as the main point of communication between the board of directors and corporate operations.
- Ensure that TAL is continued fully compliance with applicable provisions and requirements of the Public Enterprises Act, Companies Act 1995 and Civil Aviation Act 2014.
- Develop and manage the airports in Tonga and its resources efficiently and profitably and in accordance with international airports business best practice;
- Engage appropriate qualified senior personnel to manage the services, overall leadership, direction, management and administration, safety and security of the airport’s operations and the management of assets and available resources.
- Ensure TAL is operated as a Designated Airports Operator in Tonga with successful and satisfactorily performances in both commercial and technical perspectives.
The CEO reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the delivery of safe, secure and efficient services and facilities to customers and users through strategically designed essential services that are consistent with internationally adopted standards and world’s best practice.
The CEO of Tonga Airports Limited is responsible for the strategic planning and diligent administration of the company and must demonstrate organizational leadership, knowledge of all facets of airport operations.
The position requires a high degree of familiarity with airports, air navigation services, ICAO standards and recommended best practices, civil aviation rules and regulations, experience working with Governments, regulatory authorities, industry agencies and international organisations.
This role is responsible for ensuring the viability, growth, sustainability and profitability of the organisation while promoting and supporting a safe, harmonious and productive environment.
Minimum Requirements: Qualifications and Experience:
- Must have a bachelor degree in accounting, finance, business administration, economics, law, or aviation studies from a recognized university or institution; And must gained vast experiences that proven operational management experience of at least 10 years in a top management position in a comparable organization, with proven management experience in the relevant field (both commercial and/or technical disciplines). Preferably someone who has previously worked in a similar nature of organization at General Manager or CEO level on an expatriate or local level basis. OR
- Must have a Master degree in accounting, finance, business administration, economics, law, or aviation studies from a recognized university or institution; And must gained vast experiences that proven operational management experience of at least 7 years in a top management position in a comparable organization, with proven management experience in the relevant field (both commercial and/or technical disciplines). Preferably someone who has previously worked in a similar nature of organization at General Manager or CEO level on an expatriate or local level basis. OR
- Must have a doctorate degree with majoring research areas in accounting, finance, business administration, economics, law, or aviation studies from a recognized university or institution; And must gained vast experiences that proven operational management experience of at least 5 years in a top management position in a comparable organization, with proven management experience in the relevant field (both commercial and/or technical disciplines). Preferably someone who has previously worked in a similar nature of organization at General Manager or CEO level on an expatriate or local level basis.
- Applications are welcomed from individuals who possess outstanding strategic thinking capacity, demonstrated strong leadership capability, high level people-management skills, and superior management skills. The CEO roles are particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
- The role will work closely with the Shareholder representatives, TAL Board of Directors, Civil Aviation Authority (regulator), Airlines, International Airports, other relevant government ministries, and donor partners, not only as Chief Executive Officer, but also in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment in services and programs at TAL. High orders of communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential, as is a demonstrated track record of effective resource management.
Specific Essential skills required of the CEO role will be to:
- Provide the TAL Board of Directors and Shareholder representative with high quality policy and program/project development advice;
- Drive strategic planning and resource management accountabilities;
- Provide executive leadership and direction to professional, technical and operational teams.
- Identify improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost-effective to TAL;
- Lead implementation of organizational & system changes to improve productivity;
- Model cross-TAL departments and whole of TAL collaboration to ensure high standards of communication and customer service.
- Commit across a wide variety of operational and stakeholder activities need to be second to none.
- Will empower a dedicated team and to strive to ensure that all activities are robustly delivered and well received, be it from a financial, commercial, operational, innovation, public relations or community perspective.
- Strong leadership, commercial and people skills are essential. This position calls for an innovative leader, someone who is forward thinking and who wants the ability to further transform a successful business. It requires passion, commitment and a proven executive level skill set. Infrastructure is not essential although this would be advantageous, as would a previous expat/local posting.
- Sound skills in a private sector environment or/and aviation sector comparable role.
- Proven project management and civil aviation background will be advantageous.
How To Apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit their applications marked (or with the email subject) “TAL CEO APPLICATION”. The supporting documents required include a cover letter, resume / CV, certified transcripts / certificates and 3 reference letters.
Applications may be emailed or delivered in hardcopy addressed to -
Board of Directors
Tonga Airports Limited
Electronic applications must be sent to email CEOapplication [at] tongaairports [dot] com. Hard copy applications must be delivered to TAL Building, Poutaha.
All applications must be received no later than 4:30pm Tuesday 17th May 2022. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Applications that are late, incomplete and non-compliant to requirements listed above will not be considered.
For any enquiries, please contact Ms. Malia Pale on phone 21-888 or email MPale [at] tongaairports [dot] com.