Government of Tonga
Ministry of Finance, Central Services Unit
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
INDIVIDUAL CONSULTING SERVICES
Assignment Title: Program Manager, Central Services Unit (1 Full Time Position).
Project: Tonga Skills and Employment for Tongans Project.
Grant Number: IDA D3660-TO/TF A7984
Date of Issuance: 07 October 2021
Date and time Expression of Interest (EOI) due: Thursday, 21st October 2021. Not later than 16:30pm local time
Email Submission of EOI: Please email to: slolo [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org and stvaenuku [at] gmail [dot] com
Attn: Chief Executive Officer, Ministry of Finance
Salary Range: TOP 12,000 ~ TOP 15,000 per month (the actual remuneration will be negotiated with the consultant based on his / her qualifications and experiences in accordance with this range)
Reference Number: TO-MFNP-252874-CS-INDV
The Kingdom of Tonga has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Skills and Employment for Tongans (SET) Project, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services. The Ministry of Finance has established the Central Services Unit (CSU) to provide services related to: (i) project preparation and implementation, and (ii) capacity building. For project preparation and implementation, the role of the CSU is to provide both implementation and advisory services in the common fiduciary functions such as Procurement, Financial Management (FM), Safeguards, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), and Engineering and Contract Management.
The consulting services (“the Services”) include the recruitment of the CSU Program Manager, among others. The overall responsibility of the consultant is to proactively work with all relevant Implementing Agencies (IAs) in the area of project management so that the projects deliver Value for Money (VfM) in achieving the different Project Development Objectives.
This is a full-time position for 22 Months (1 year and 10 months) that may be extended based on needs and performance of the consultant to provide support to multiple projects. Expected start date of the position is December 2021.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be found at the following link:
The Ministry of Finance now invites eligible individuals (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services (attach curriculum vitae with description of qualifications, experience in similar assignments, similar conditions, etc.).
The criteria for selecting the Consultant are:
Academic Background and Relevant Experience
a) Minimum Requirements/Shortlisting Criteria including the Eligibility Requirements (Pass/Fail):
- Minimum Education: Master’s level or Bachelor’s level- with a major in a relevant discipline e.g. Project Management, Engineering, Law, Procurement, Finance, Business or Commerce.
- Minimum Years of relevant experience as defined by technical or management positions in large donor funded projects: 8 years for Master’s Level, 13 years for Bachelor’s level holders.
- Applicants must have legal right to work in Tonga at the time of application.
b) Evaluation/Scoring Criteria
- Minimum Education: Master’s level or Bachelor’s level- with a major in a relevant discipline e.g., Project Management, Engineering, Law, Procurement, Finance, Business or Commerce. (20%)
- Minimum Years of relevant experience as defined by technical or management positions in large donor funded projects: 8 years for Master’s Level, 13 years for Bachelor’s level holders. (20%)
- Proven experience in Project management and delivery in a challenging and multi-stakeholder environment. Challenging and multi-stakeholder environment is defined by low capacity implementing agency, managing highly technical team members, challenging project deliverables, coordination and reporting relationship with multiple ministries / stakeholders. (20%)
- Breadth of experience in project management in different geographic locations. Experience with Development Bank (World Bank/ Asian Development Bank etc.) financed projects, processes and procedures is preferred. (20%)
- Having proven innovation in project implementation activities; e.g. process improvement, quality improvement, use of technology, management and relationship improvement etc. (10%)
- Relevant experience in Tonga (working level fluency in local language(s)/knowledge of local culture or administrative system, government organization, etc.): 10 points
c) Essential Specialized Skills/Knowledge/Competencies
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a diverse culture and multidisciplinary team.
- Clear understanding of project management, project objective, results framework, implementation challenges, monitoring and evaluation of performance.
- Knowledge of general principles of procurement, financial management, and safeguards requirements, policies and practices.
- Proficient in developing work plan, resource plan, budget, operation manual.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritization of tasks to meet deadlines, resource allocation to meet budget and quality expectations, conflict resolution.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English and Tongan languages, persuasiveness in presenting, discussing and resolving difficult issues.
- Effective team leader, understands group dynamics and management techniques.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 3.14, 3.16 and 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers, dated July 2016, revised November 2017 and August 2018 (“the Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. A Consultant will be selected in accordance with Paragraph 7.36 to 7.37 of the Procurement Regulations.
The remuneration package for this position is attractive and it will be determined based on qualifications, experience and previous remunerations for similar assignments (range from TOP 12,000 ~ TOP 15,000 per month).
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 09:00 to 16:00 hours.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) no later than 16:30pm of Thursday, 21st October 2021.
Attn: Chief Executive Officer
Ministry of Finance
Tel: +676 740-0700
E-mail: slolo [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and copy to: amuteteli [at] finance [dot] gov [dot] to and stvaenuku [at] gmail [dot] com
INSTRUCTION FOR SUBMISSION: Please limit your CV and Cover letter in five (5) pages addressing each of the Selection Criteria with exact details.