GOVERNMENT OF TONGA
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Position
Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources
The Government of Tonga’s strategic vision for the future delivery of public services is aimed at streamlining its organizational platform to better deliver more efficient and effective public services for the people of Tonga. To help achieve this aim, the Government of Tonga seeks to appoint the Chief Executive Officer for Lands and Natural Resources under the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources.
Applications are welcomed from individuals who possess outstanding strategic thinking capacity, demonstrated leadership capability and superior management skills. Government CEOs are integral in supporting a productive and sustainable Public Service as Tonga continues its path towards constitutional reform. The CEO role is particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
The role will work closely with their responsible Minister and central agencies, not only as Chief Executive Officer, but also in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment in services and programs. High orders of communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential, as is a demonstrated track record of effective resource management.
Essential skills required of the advertised CEO role will be to:
- Provide the Minister with high quality policy and program development advice
- Drive strategic planning and resource management accountabilities
- Provide executive direction to professional, technical and operational teams
- Identify improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost to government
- Lead implementation of organizational & system changes to improve productivity
- Model cross-Ministry and whole of government collaboration to ensure high standards of communication and customer service
Term of appointment: Contract term of up to four (4) years.
Remuneration: Based on the Government of Tonga, CEO Remuneration package.
CEO for Lands and Natural Resources
Job Reference: CEO Lands and Natural Resources
The Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources delivers a number of whole-of-government programs on behalf of all Ministries, including:
- Policy and Planning
- Land Registration and Valuation Services
- Geodesy and Surveying Services
- Drafting and Survey Computing Services
- Information System and Technology Services
- Urban and Town Planning Services
- Natural Resources Services (Deep Sea Mining and Geological Services)
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible to the Minister of Lands and Natural Resources for implementing government policies and decisions, and for managing the administrative, operational and broader functions and activities of the Ministry.
Specifically, the purpose of the role is to:
- support environmentally sustainable developments consistent with priority economic and social needs of Tonga
- ensure Tonga is meeting international obligations in relation to natural resources
- ensure that lands, natural resources are being managed for the benefit of stakeholders.
Experience and Qualification:
- Relevant postgraduate (Level 8 TNQAB framework: (postgraduate Diploma/BA with honours + 10) (MA + 6) (PHD + 4) qualification + senior leadership experience)
- Relevant degree + senior leadership experience in complex organisations, preferably in Government or regional or international agencies
- Relevant specialist qualification + 10 years’ in a similar role
- Current TPS employee with 10 years’ experience in a similar role (meeting other core competency and experience requirements specified in the job description + PMS scores of 3 or above for the past 2 consecutive years)
How to Apply:
- Applicants who possess most of the qualities described under the essential skills, accountabilities, experience and qualification for the CEO position should request an Application Information Kit. An Application Information Kit can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Public Service Commission on +676 7400300, or email ceomatters [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to.
- Applications should be forwarded to the following address by 4:30pm on 03 March, 2021.
Public Service Commission
Pacific Timber & Hardware’s Building
- Candidates should refer to the Application Information Kit in preparing an application, ensuring that all requirements are satisfied. Incomplete documentation may prevent proper consideration of the application. Given the brevity of time, signed emailed applications will be acceptable. Email applications should be forwarded to ceomatters [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to by the closing date.