GOVERNMENT OF TONGA
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for Fisheries
The Government of Tonga’s strategic vision for the future delivery of public services is aimed at streamlining its organizational platform to better deliver more efficient and effective public services for the people of Tonga. To help achieve this aim, the Government of Tonga seeks to appoint a Chief Executive Officer for the Ministry of Fisheries.
Applications are welcomed from individuals who possess outstanding strategic thinking capacity, demonstrated leadership capability and superior management skills. A Government CEO is integral in supporting a productive and sustainable Public Service as Tonga continues its path towards constitutional reform. The CEO role is particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
The role will work closely with their responsible Minister and central agencies, not only as Chief Executive Officer, but also in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment in services and programs. High orders of communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential, as is a demonstrated track record of effective resource management.
Essential skills required of the advertised CEO roles will be to:
- Provide the Minister with high quality policy and program development advice
- Drive strategic planning and resource management accountabilities
- Provide executive direction to professional, technical and operational teams
- Identify improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost to government
- Lead implementation of organizational & system changes to improve productivity
- Model cross-Ministry and whole of government collaboration to ensure high standards of communication and customer service
Term of appointment: Contract term of up to four (4) years.
Remuneration: Based on the Government of Tonga, CEO Remuneration package.
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible to the Minister of Fisheries for implementing government policies and decisions, and for managing the administrative, operational and broader functions and activities of the Ministry.
Specifically, the purpose and essential skills of the role is to:
- Account for the efficient and cost-effective use of resources in the delivery of services conducive to improve fisheries sector performance
- Contribute to better management and development of fisheries through sustainable use of marine resources by providing sound scientific and economic analysis and to monitor growth and development of the fishing industry to determine its annual contribution to the overall economy
- Provide up to date advices to the Fisheries Minister and the Government of Tonga on the biological and ecological status of coastal and offshore fishery resources in Tonga
- Ensure the sustainable utilisation and equitable and orderly access to the coastal and offshore fisheries resources through improved management and regulations
- Provide a sound policy and regulatory environment for sustainable fisheries management and development
- Identify and promote opportunities for sustainable aquaculture production both large scale businesses and smaller scale production.
Experience and Qualification
- Relevant postgraduate (Level 8 TNQAB framework: (postgraduate Diploma/BA with honours + 10) (MA + 6) (PHD + 4) or specialist qualification + 10 years’ experience in a senior role.
- Relevant degree + 10 years’ experience in a senior role, including demonstrated senior leadership experience.
- Current TPS employee with 10 years’ experience in a similar role (meeting other core competency and experience requirements specified in the job description + PMS scores of 3 or above for the past 2 consecutive years).
How to Apply
- Applicants who possess most of the qualities described under the essential skills, accountabilities, experience and qualification for the CEO position should request an Application Information Kit. An Application Information Kit can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Public Service Commission on +676 25770, or email ceoopportunity [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to.
- Applications should be forwarded to the following address by 4:30pm on Monday 13 April, 2020.
Public Service Commission
P.O. Box 46
- Candidates should refer to the Application Information Kit in preparing an application, ensuring that all requirements are satisfied. Incomplete documentation may prevent proper consideration of the application. Given the brevity of time, signed emailed applications will be acceptable. Email applications should be forwarded to ceoopportunity [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to by the closing date of 4:30pm, Monday 13 April, 2020.