JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Job Vacancy: General Manager (Chief Executive Officer), PORTS AUTHORITY TONGA
Job Reference: PAT/GM
Updated 2:21pm, 2 November 2019.
Company brief profile:
The Ports Authority Tonga (PAT) is a public enterprise under Public Enterprises Act 2002. Its primary objective is to operate as a successful business that is profitable and efficient as a comparable business that is not state owned.
PAT was established under the Ports Authority Act 1998 as a statutory body to promote, encourage, and assist the development of commercially viable and efficient ports in Tonga.
PAT is now seeking an experienced General Manager to manage the day-to-day operations of the Authority. The right candidate must be ready to build and model a successful company culture, provide inspired leadership to PAT’s executive team, establish an excellent working relationship with the Board of Directors and set a sound course for the Authority’s business strategies.
Job Terms and Conditions:
- The Term of appointment is a Performance Based Contract with the initial term of up to four (4) years.
- The Remuneration will be based on the Ports Authority Tonga’s General Manager Remuneration package.
- The Appointment of the General Manager is made by the Board of Directors of the Port Authority following the candidate interview process in accordance with the provisions of the Port Authority Act, and subject to the approval of the Minister of Public Enterprises under the terms of the Public Enterprises Act.
Specific Purpose of the role is to:
- Ensure PAT practices good corporate governance and comply with the requirements of the Public Enterprises Act 2002, and other specific legislations, standards, conventions and policies.
- Ensure PAT successfully achieve targeted outputs within allocated budget and other resources.
- Provide high level and professional policy advice to the Board of Directors and Shareholder representative in relation to current PAT performance.
- Implement government policy initiatives on public enterprises and ensure the outcomes contribute to the continuing development of the transport sector.
- Ensure Implementation and achievement of PAT’s current and future strategic direction set by the Board.
- Deliver strategic and operational key performance results and outcomes across the organization.
The General Manager of Ports Authority Tonga is responsible for planning, controlling and managing:
- General responsibility for an oversight of all operating departments at the Port, including but not limited to Finance, Human Resources, Port Master’s Office and Port Operations
- Strategic leadership of the Authority according to the Board’s approved Business Plan and Compliance with Regulatory Policies and Governance
- Effective Financial Management
- Strategic Planning, Strategic Thinking, Leadership and Direction
- Effective Executive Leadership and People Management
- Business Development and Customer Agenda/Value Propositions
- Audit, Risk Management and Compliance
- Effective delivery of Corporate and Social Responsibility obligations.
Qualification and Experience:
- Degree or Post Graduate degree in a relevant discipline: Law, Business, Finance and Management.
- Over 10-15 years of work experience in Transport Industry inclusive of 5-7 years in Senior Executive Management position in a commercial entity.
- Experience in Port Management would be an advantage.
- Financial Management Experience.
- Membership of any professional body.
- Exceptional leadership and management skills focussing on securing strategic partnerships, business planning, people and financial management.
- Relationship Management
- The role will work closely with the Shareholder representatives, PAT Board of Directors, and key stakeholders, in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment with PAT.
- Problem Solving and Analysis
- Ability to analyse complex policy issues, draw correct conclusions and articulate clear and focused policy to stakeholders.
- Strategy Formulation
- Ability to formulate strategies and policies, and create new approaches in adverse situations
- Communication Skills
- Strong Communication and People Management, interpersonal and influencing skills to build strong business relationships, foster stakeholder engagement, create new partnerships and drive a culture of collaboration and innovation.
- Understanding of Business, Government and Industry Process
- The General Manager role is particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
- Interpersonal Style
- Has a personal commitment to organisational excellence, displays honesty, integrity, and strong sense of ethics in all decision and actions.
- Personal Organisation
- Has the ability to manage competing demands to maintain a healthy balance between work, family and community activities.
- Experience in working with Governance Boards of Directors providing professional, accurate, and strategic advice.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants who possess the above qualities and meet the relevant qualification, experience and skills for the General Manager’s role are invited to apply. A full Position Description can be obtained by contacting ceovacancy [at] portsauthoritytonga [dot] com or Office telephone number (676) 28-844 or mobile number (676) 884-7011.
All applications must be clearly marked “CONFIDENTIAL- GM VACANCY” and addressed to the following address:
Board of Directors
Ports Authority Tonga
Queen Salote Wharf
Applications must include a full CV, certified copies of formal qualifications and a comprehensive covering letter (in English) and be received no later than 4:00pm, 31st January 2020.
Ports Authority Tonga.