GOVERNMENT OF TONGA
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Position
For Trade and Economic Development
The Government of Tonga’s strategic vision for the future delivery of public services is aimed at streamlining its organizational platform to better deliver more efficient and effective public services for the people of Tonga. To help achieve this aim, the Government of Tonga seeks to appoint a Chief Executive Officer for the Ministry of Trade and Economic Development.
Applications are welcomed from individuals who possess outstanding strategic thinking capacity, demonstrated leadership capability and superior management skills. Government CEOs are integral in supporting a productive and sustainable Public Service as Tonga continues its path towards constitutional reform. The CEO roles are particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
The role will work closely with the responsible Minister and central agencies, not only as Chief Executive Officer, but also in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment in services and programs. High orders of communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential, as is a demonstrated track record of effective resource management.
Essential skills required of the advertised CEO roles will be to:
- Provide the Minister with high quality policy and program development advice
- Drive strategic planning and resource management accountabilities
- Provide executive direction to professional, technical and operational teams
- Identify improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost to government
- Lead implementation of organizational & system changes to improve productivity
- Model cross-Ministry and whole of government collaboration to ensure high standards of communication and customer service
Term of appointment: Contract term of up to four (4) years.
Remuneration: Based on the Government of Tonga, CEO Remuneration package.
CEO for Trade and Economic Development
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible to the Minister and the Public Service Commission for implementing government policies and decisions, for managing the administrative; operational; and broader functions and activities of the Ministry, and for developing and leading programs to continually improve the effectiveness and efficiency of service delivery outcomes. To comply with the Accountability and Functions of CEOs as outlined in Sections 13A and 13B of the Public Service Act 2010 (as amended).
Specifically, the purpose and essential skills of the role is to:
- Provide high quality policy and program development advice
- Deliver strategic planning and resource management accountabilities
- Provide executive direction and development to professional, technical and operational teams.
- Identify and deliver improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost to government
- Lead implementation of organisational & system changes to improve productivity
- Model cross-Ministry and whole of government collaboration to ensure high standards of public administration and service delivery
- Ensure compliance of the Ministry with its regulatory obligations
- Develop strategies to create a business environment that is conducive to growth and enhances Tonga’s competiveness internationally.
- Develop an effective framework and strategy to strengthen and improve market access in trade, employment and investment and
- encourage business innovation
- Development of a regulatory enforcement strategy of consumer protection, price control, weight and measures to increase business
Experience and Qualification
- Tertiary educational qualification relevant to the position and proven operational management experience of at least 7 years in a senior leadership and management position in Government or in a comparable organization, with proven high-performance delivery in policy, strategy, program administration, staff supervision and performance management or relevant field.
- Essential skills of the Government CEO position along with proven trade negotiation skills, business management skills and/or business policy development experience in the public or private sector will be advantageous.
How to Apply
Applicants who possess most of the qualities described under the essential skills, accountabilities, experience and qualification for the CEO position should request an Application Information Kit. An Application Information Kit can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Public Service Commission on +676 25770, or email ce0opportunity [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to
Applications for the Chief Executive Officer for Trade and Economic Development position close at 4:30pm on Monday 19 August, 2019.
All applications should be forwarded to the address mentioned below, prior to the closing dates as mentioned above;
Acting Chairman of Public Service Commission,
Level 1, Tungi Colonnade,
Candidates should refer to the Application Information Kit in preparing an application, ensuring that all requirements are satisfied. Incomplete documentation may prevent proper consideration of the application. Given the brevity of time, signed emailed applications will be acceptable.
Email applications should be forwarded to ceoopportunity [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to by the closing dates for the above mentioned position.