GOVERNMENT OF TONGA
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for Department of Statistics
The Government of Tonga’s strategic vision for the future delivery of public services is aimed at streamlining its organizational platform to better deliver more efficient and effective public services for the people of Tonga. To help achieve this aim, the Government of Tonga seeks to appoint a Government Statistician or Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for the Department of Statistics.
Applications are welcomed from individuals who possess outstanding strategic thinking capacity, demonstrated leadership capability and superior management skills. A Government CEO is integral in supporting a productive and sustainable Public Service as Tonga continues its path towards constitutional reform. The CEO role is particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
The role will work closely with their responsible Minister and central agencies, not only as Chief Executive Officer, but also in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment in services and programs. High orders of communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential, as is a demonstrated track record of effective resource management.
Essential skills required of the advertised CEO roles will be to:
- Provide the Minister with high quality policy and program development advice
- Drive strategic planning and resource management accountabilities
- Provide executive direction to professional, technical and operational teams
- Identify improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost to government
- Lead implementation of organizational & system changes to improve productivity
- Model cross-Ministry and whole of government collaboration to ensure high standards of communication and customer service
Term of appointment: Contract term of up to four (4) years.
Remuneration: Based on the Government of Tonga, CEO Remuneration package.
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible to the Minister of Finance for implementing the Statistics Act. As Government Statistician, its main purpose is to ensure that the Statistics Department develops a comprehensive statistical information system to serve the needs of economic, social, developing, planning and management of the Kingdom. To also comply with the Accountability and Functions of CEOs as outlined in Sections 13A and 13B of the Public Service Act 2010 (as amended).
Specifically, the purpose and essential skills of the role is to:
- Ensure that high quality statistics are provided on a timely basis to aid evidence-based decision making.
- Provide advice and enhance capacity support to organisations/agencies in relation to collection and compilation of data.
- Provide advice and assistance to Government Ministries in relation to statistics.
- To promote and develop integrated social and economic statistics for Tonga.
- Ensure effective & efficient delivery of statistical advice to government departments on consensus & surveys, including design, build and test of survey instruments, collect, process, analyse, disseminate and archive of data.
- Improve dissemination of statistics information and provision of support services to improve understanding and production of statistics.
- Provide directions to enable delivery of a statistical service which facilitates informed decision making and policy development within Government.
- Build strategic management capability to ensure that executive management within the Department is innovative, flexible and responsive in discharging responsibilities.
Experience and Qualification
- Tertiary educational qualification relevant to the position and proven operational management experience of at least 7 years in a senior leadership and management position in Government or in a comparable organization, with proven high-performance delivery in policy, strategy, program administration, staff supervision and performance management in the relevant field.
- Demonstrated expert level of understanding of economics statistic, social statistical census & surveys with proven track record of senior management experience as a Statistician including provision of strategic advice to superiors.
How to Apply:-
Applicants who possess most of the qualities described under the essential skills, accountabilities, experience and qualification for the CEO position should request an Application Information Kit. An Application Information Kit can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Public Service Commission on +676 25770, or email ceoopportunity [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to.
- Applications should be forwarded to the following address by 4:30pm on Thursday 18 July, 2019.
Public Service Commission
P.O. Box 46
- Candidates should refer to the Application Information Kit in preparing an application, ensuring that all requirements are satisfied. Incomplete documentation may prevent proper consideration of the application. Given the brevity of time, signed email applications will be acceptable. Email applications should be forwarded to ceoopportunity [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to by the closing date of 4:30pm, Thursday 18 July, 2019.