Government of Tonga
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
for Meteorology, Energy, Information, Disaster Management, Environment, Climate Change and Communication (MEIDECC)
The Government of Tonga’s strategic vision for the future delivery of public services is aimed at streamlining its organizational platform to better deliver more efficient and effective public services for the people of Tonga. To help achieve this aim, the Government of Tonga seeks to appoint a Chief Executive Officer for the Ministry of Meteorology, Energy, Information, Disaster Management, Environment, Climate Change and Communication.
Applications are welcomed from individuals who possess outstanding strategic thinking capacity, demonstrated leadership capability and superior management skills. A Government CEO is integral in supporting a productive and sustainable Public Service as Tonga continues its path towards constitutional reform. The CEO role is particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
The role will work closely with their responsible Minister and central agencies, not only as Chief Executive Officer, but also in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment in services and programs. High orders of communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential, as is a demonstrated track record of effective resource management.
Essential skills required of the advertised CEO roles will be to:
- Provide the Minister with high quality policy and program development advice
- Drive strategic planning and resource management accountabilities
- Provide executive direction to professional, technical and operational teams
- Identify improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost to government
- Lead implementation of organizational & system changes to improve productivity
- Model cross-Ministry and whole of government collaboration to ensure high standards of communication and customer service
Term of appointment: Contract term of up to four (4) years.
Remuneration: Based on the Government of Tonga, CEO Remuneration package.
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible to the Minister of Meteorology, Energy, Information, Disaster Management, Environment, Climate Change and Communication and the Public Service Commission for implementing government policies and decisions for managing the administrative, operational and broader functions and activities of the Ministry and for developing and leading programs to continually improve the effectiveness and efficiency of service delivery outcomes. To comply with the Accountability and Functions of CEOs as outlined in Sections 13A and 13B of the Public Service Act 2010 (as amended).
Specifically, the purpose and essential skills of the role is to:
- Provide advice on the administration of Meteorology, Energy, Information, Disaster Management, Environment, Climate Change and Communication to assist policy and planning initiatives.
- Improve dissemination and provision of Meteorology, Energy, Information, Disaster Management, Environment, Climate Change and Communication information and services.
- Ensure availability of quality information and easy access to affordable and high speed communication services that uncover opportunities and achieving results.
- Support environmental management to strengthen environmental protection.
- More reliable, safe and affordable and wide energy services built on an appropriate energy mix moving towards increased use of renewable energy.
- More equitable, inclusive, sustainable and appropriate management of the renewable and non-renewable natural resources.
- Improve resilience to impacts of natural hazards and climate change.
Experience and Qualification
- Tertiary educational qualification relevant to the position and proven operational management experience of at least 7 years in a senior leadership and management position in Government or in a comparable organization, with proven high performance delivery in policy, strategy, program administration, staff supervision and performance management in the relevant field.
- Essential skills of the Government CEO position along with proven operational and senior management experience in any of the disciplines of MEIDECC.
How to Apply
- Applicants who possess most of the qualities described under the essential skills, accountabilities, experience and qualification for the CEO position should request an Application Information Kit. An Application Information Kit can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Public Service Commission on +676 25770, or email ceoopportunity [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to
- Applications should be forwarded to the following address by 4:30pm on Monday 11 March, 2019.
Public Service Commission
P.O. Box 46
- Candidates should refer to the Application Information Kit in preparing an application, ensuring that all requirements are satisfied. Incomplete documentation may prevent proper consideration of the application. Given the brevity of time, signed emailed applications will be acceptable. Email applications should be forwarded to ceoopportunity [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to by the closing date of 4:30pm, Monday 11 March, 2019.