GOVERNMENT OF TONGA
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for Justice
The Government of Tonga’s strategic vision for the future delivery of public services is aimed at streamlining its organizational platform to better deliver more efficient and effective public services for the people of Tonga. To help achieve this aim, the Government of Tonga seeks to appoint a Chief Executive Officer for the Ministry of Justice.
Applications are welcomed from individuals who possess outstanding strategic thinking capacity, demonstrated leadership capability and superior management skills. A Government CEO is integral in supporting a productive and sustainable Public Service as Tonga continues its path towards constitutional reform. The CEO role is particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
The role will work closely with their responsible Minister and central agencies, not only as Chief Executive Officer, but also in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment in services and programs. High orders of communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential, as is a demonstrated track record of effective resource management.
Essential skills required of the advertised CEO roles will be to:
- Provide the Minister with high quality policy and program development advice
- Drive strategic planning and resource management accountabilities
- Provide executive direction to professional, technical and operational teams
- Identify improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost to government
- Lead implementation of organizational & system changes to improve productivity
- Model cross-Ministry and whole of government collaboration to ensure high standards of communication and customer service
Term of appointment: Contract term of up to four (4) years.
Remuneration: Based on the Government of Tonga, CEO Remuneration package.
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible to the Minister of Justice for implementing government policies and decisions, and for managing the administrative, operational and broader functions and activities of the Ministry.
Specifically, the purpose and essential skills of the role is to:
- Provide efficient and effective development and implementation of legal policy in accordance with Government policies and priorities in crime prevention.
- Enhance and promote the provision of accurate vital statistics records and archiving of births, deaths, marriages, changes of names, adoptions
- Demonstrate an effective approach to whole of government policy coordination, monitor policy implementation and evaluate outcomes on a regular basis
- Provide high quality, timely and consistent policy advise and operational performance reports to the Minister and the Commission
- Monitor the delivery of effective and time adjudication of disputes and resolutions regarding questions of law in the courts with appropriate jurisdictions
- Work in partnership with the police and community to create a safer and more secure environment.
- Ensure effective financial and resourcing mobilization and management of the Ministry operations
- Demonstrate thorough understanding of the justice system, processes and standards in a global and regional context.
Experience and Qualification
- Tertiary educational qualification relevant to the position and proven operational management experience of at least 7 years in a senior leadership and management position in Government or in a comparable organization, with proven high performance delivery in policy, strategy, program administration, staff supervision and performance management in the relevant field.
- Essential skills of the Government CEO position along with proven legal skills and background will be advantageous.
How to Apply:-
- Applicants who possess most of the qualities described under the essential skills, accountabilities, experience and qualification for the CEO position should request an Application Information Kit. An Application Information Kit can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Public Service Commission on +676 25770, or email ceoopportunity [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to
- Applications should be forwarded to the following address by 4:30pm on Thursday 21 February, 2019.
Public Service Commission
P.O. Box 46
- Candidates should refer to the Application Information Kit in preparing an application, ensuring that all requirements are satisfied. Incomplete documentation may prevent proper consideration of the application. Given the brevity of time, signed emailed applications will be acceptable. Email applications should be forwarded to ceoopportunity [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to by the closing date of 4:30pm, Thursday 21 February, 2019.