KINGDOM OF TONGA
Expressions of Interest
Judge of the Supreme Court of Tonga
The Judicial Appointments and Discipline Panel of the Kingdom of Tonga is seeking expressions of interest from Judges or experienced legal practitioners who wish to be considered for appointment as a Supreme Court Judge in the Kingdom of Tonga.
To be eligible for appointment a candidate must-
- Either hold or have held high judicial officer; or
- Have at least 10 years’ experience as an advocate in a Court of unlimited civil and criminal jurisdiction in a country within the Commonwealth of Nations.
Tonga is a Constitutional Monarchy which adheres to the Rule of Law, recognizes the Independence of the Judiciary and in its Constitution guarantees the Judiciary security of tenure during good behaviour.
In assessing candidates regard will be had to the following criteria. Candidates should be:
- Experienced in legal practice with a high record of professional achievement coupled with a knowledge and understanding of the law consistent with judicial office.
- Excellent conceptual and analytical thinkers displaying independence and clarity of thought.
- Effective oral and verbal communicators.
- Able to delineate and manage the appropriate boundaries between the Judiciary on the one hand and the Government and Parliament on the other hand.
- Highly organised, able to demonstrate or develop sound court management skills and work well under pressure.
- Capable of making fair balanced and consistent decision according to law without undue delay.
- A person of maturity discretion, patience and integrity who inspires respect and confidence.
- Committed to promoting proper judicial administration and leading continuous improvement in court policy and practice with judicial colleagues.
- Fluent and effective verbal and written communication in English and Tongan.
Anyone lodging an expression of interest is asked to provide full personal particulars and details of areas of legal specialisation and interest, a detailed curriculum vitae and any further material relevant to eligibility or the criteria for appointment. The names and contact details of two professional and two character references should also be provided.
Terms and Conditions will be provided to anyone who is shortlisted. All expressions of interest will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Expressions of interest should be sent by e-mail to Mr Viliami Malolo, Lord Privy Seal at lpseal4 [at] gmail [dot] com to be received in Tonga no later than Friday, 1 June 2018.