MINISTRY OF METEOROLOGY, ENERGY, INFORMATION, DISASTER MANAGEMENT, ENVIRONMENT, CLIMATE CHANGE AND COMMUNICATIONS (MEIDECC)
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
National Telecommunications Advisor
Pacific Resilience Program (PREP) Tonga
Credit No: 5689 TO/Grant No: D078 TO
Assignment Title: National Telecommunications Advisor
Reference No.: PREP Tonga /CON17
The Government of Tonga has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Pacific Resilience Program (PREP) and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services for National Telecommunications Advisor.
The Consultant service (“the Services”) includes providing technical advice in all aspects relating to the VHF Radio network for small fishing vessels, Marine Coastal Radio network, and Seismic Stations network.
The Consultant is expected to provide 150 working days over 2 years’ period.
The Ministry of Meteorology, Energy, Information, Disaster Management, Environment, Climate Change and Communications (MEIDECC) now invites eligible Individual Consultants (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing their Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The Shortlisting criteria are:
- Diploma in Telecommunication Engineering and Telecommunications Management or its equivalent from a recognized institution or advanced level training at a Telecom/Radio communication Training Institution;
- Experience with radio communications;
- Must be familiar with VHF/HF and Microwave principles, installation and maintenance;
- Must gain work experience for at least seven (7) years by working for a recognized telecommunication organization conducting site surveys and feasibility study in country for similar assignments;
- Been involved in assignments of similar nature where activities such as site inspections and installation of communication towers, setting up of VHF marine communication, carrying out line of sight test, conduct training are required;
- Familiarity with the Tongan culture, land tenure system and natural environment/geography will be an advantage;
- Must have good connections in similar industry that could provide support when required. Computer literacy will be an advantage.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers January 2011, revised July 2014 (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Selection of Individual Consultant method set out in the Consultant Guidelines – Section V.
Further information can be obtained by sending an email to: Lilika Fifita at: lika_fifita [at] yahoo [dot] com [dot] au or Maliu Takai, at: moeaotakai [at] gmail [dot] com - Project Management Unit, MEIDECC.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) by 5 May 2018.
Attention: Paula Ma’u
The Chief Executive Officer
Ministry of Meteorology, Energy, Information, Disaster Management, Environment, Climate Change and Communications (MEIDECC)
P. O. Box 1380
1st Floor OG Sanft Building
Tel: (676) 23-160 or 28-170
E-mail: paulm [at] mic [dot] gov [dot] to