You are here

Results for 16-11

Tuesday 2 January 2007
Nuku'alofa, Tonga
Thank you for giving my article, "The Attempted Coup of 16 November 2006," extensive coverage on your site under the title "Tonga government blames PCPR for deaths and destruction in Nuku'alofa." Lopeti Senituli, Press Secretary / Political Adviser to the Prime Minister
Node is premium Premium content
Monday 1 January 2007
USA
I feel I can speak for all Tongans that we do not condone the actions that devastated our island home on Black Thursday. Our heart goes out to the 153 business owners and their families who are directly affected by the aftermath of Black Thursday. Our hearts also go out to our fellow men and women, who depend on these businesses to fulfill their family and personal responsibilities. Those who are responsible for the destruction of our capital should be punished to the full extend of the law. - Venisi Uata
Friday 29 December 2006
Suva, Fiji
We will be soon crossing over to a new year, I wonder if the PRs still have a few stunts left to entertain the crowd. If the answer is no then they should gracefully bow and make way for new talented actors to run the show. If the audience still prefer the PRs then they should askew themselves whether it would be worthwhile keeping them in the the long term.- Freddy Kavaha'apai
Wednesday 27 December 2006
Hihifo, Tonga
In regards to 'Akilisi's statements in Parliament prior to the 16th, the radio announcement on the 16th and in the interview after the 16th: 'Akilisi himself needs to revise his history, both past and present, before he advises others to do so.
Wednesday 27 December 2006
Utah, USA
I did not mean to infer that many of those that rioted were not guilty of looting and arson and should be let go. They need to pay for their crimes. - Joe Smith
Monday 25 December 2006
Nuku'alofa, Tonga
Pro Demos, "How dare you do this to not only our business but to our children" We have worked hard to make sure the stories of hardships we hear from our grandparents, dont come to our children. But, thanks to you, our work is now even harder. I do not trust your lot one bit with any decision in Parliament that would effect my family. - Ese
Saturday 23 December 2006
Australia
I think you are quite right Mr Smith of course all blame and all fingers should be pointing at the captain on an event or a tragedy of a ship sinking. - Molumalu ‘o Ha‘angata
Apia, Samoa
We are trying to teach our kids responsibility for their actions. But the Navy is saying, blame it on Mom and Dad, blame your grandparents and by all means blame Adam and Eve for if this is all happening because of their transgression. - Dennis Pulu
Australia
The captain that we should blame in 16/11 are the People's Representatives who fueled those poor people with hate and jealousy. Let's say that US needs time to rebuild IRAQ and Tonga needs time to change. - Takaunove
'Eua
I am talking about the direct impact not spillover cost, and I hope you understand the command and language of a Captain to his crew as a seaman boy! - ‘Asipeli Mafi
Friday 22 December 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
In the Navy when a ship runs aground, the Captain of the ship is responsible. It doesn't matter that it happened in the middle of the night and he was sleeping in his bunk. This analogy can also be applied to Tonga (the ship), the King (Captain), and the riots (the grounding). - Joe Smith
Friday 22 December 2006
USA
I want to thank Ms Uata for her enlightening letter. I was totally in the dark on this, thinking someone with a match and gasoline near the area was responsible for burning Nuku‘alofa. - TamaFoa
Thursday 21 December 2006
San Francisco, USA
The main issue is whether or not "Black Thursday" was caused by the Democratic Movement and its leaders. To do this, Uata set out to complicate it by blaming another group of people, the Tongans overseas. I think most Tongans overseas and at home know that the Democratic Movement and its leaders are to be blamed for the "Black Thursday." - Siosaia Fatani
Thursday 21 December 2006
Pago Pago, American Samoa
The Demos marching on the morning of November 16 was the last directly act that caused Black Thursday. The weeks before the march, The Demos were at the villages building up the fire of hate and violence in the mind and soul of the villages, again encouraging them to the march on Black Thursday. The Demos are responsible for Black Thursday. - Mafi ‘o Amerika Samoa
Wednesday 20 December 2006
San Mateo, California, USA
There seems to be a repentant call from Temo leaders to urge the Tongan government to grant them dialogue and access in the reconstruction process. A "spin" of political damage control at its worst showing, and there is far too much destruction they have caused that can justify their involvement. - 'Alipate Sanft
Wednesday 20 December 2006
Auckland, New Zealand
It is only a few days away from Christmas and with everything that had happened in Nuku'alofa on the 16/11. Lets all stand together this Christmas and give god a Christmas present . . . by praying together for his forginevess and for his love and peace, for his healing hand to reach down to our land and heal it. - 'Atu Louaki Lasitani
Tuesday 19 December 2006
New Zealand
Fakamolemole ka e fakakau atu e ki'i tohi ni na'a 'aonga. Ko e ngaahi fakakaukau pe 'eni 'a e motu'a fakapo'uli hei'ilo na'a 'aonga. - Maka
Tuesday 19 December 2006
Neiafu, Vava'u
It is common knowledge to students of Tongan history that our parliament had its fair share of libelous, sedition or simply lying members in the past. - Heinz Koester
Monday 18 December 2006
Suva, Fiji
Its saddens me to see that the sweat and toil of hard working people have all gone down in rubbles and ashes. This clearly demonstrates the lack of appreciation Tongans have for those who have helped build business and trade in the Kingdom. - Freddy Kavaha'apai
Monday 18 December 2006
USA
The morning of Black Thursday produced already tensed moments between two feuding ideals bursting at the seams with insecurity, mistrust, even anger and hatred. By the afternoon of Black Thursday the riot had taken its toll as cars were overturned, businesses burned down, and most tragically, lives lost. By sundown on Black Thursday, the government signed a petition agreeing to increase the People's representatives to 21, which is the desire of the people who had lived at Pangai for the past 11 months, and of course those for the democracy movement. If the government had agreed and signed the petition on White Wednesday, would Thursday need "Black" to describe itself? - Venisi Uata

Pages