GOVERNMENT OF TONGA
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Position
The Government of Tonga’s strategic vision for the future delivery of public services is aimed at streamlining its organizational platform to better deliver more efficient and effective public services for the people of Tonga. To help achieve this aim, the Government of Tonga seeks to appoint a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for Tourism.
Applications are welcomed from individuals who possess outstanding strategic thinking capacity, demonstrated leadership capability and superior management skills. Government CEOs are integral in supporting a productive and sustainable Public Service as Tonga continues its path towards constitutional reform. The CEO role is particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
The role will work closely with their responsible Minister and central agencies, not only as Chief Executive Officer, but also in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment in services and programs. High orders of communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential, as is a demonstrated track record of effective resource management.
Essential skills required of the advertised CEO role will be to:
- Provide the Minister with high quality policy and program development advice
- Drive strategic planning and resource management accountabilities
- Provide executive direction to professional, technical and operational teams
- Identify improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost to government
- Lead implementation of organizational & system changes to improve productivity
- Model cross-Ministry and whole of government collaboration to ensure high standards of communication and customer service
Term of appointment: Contract term of up to four (4) years.
Remuneration: Based on the Government of Tonga, CEO Remuneration package
Position: Chief Executive Officer for Tourism
Job Reference: CEO Tourism
The Ministry of Tourism delivers policy advice for the promotion of tourism and a range of industry incentive and support programs including:
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible to the Minister for Tourism for implementing government policies and decisions, and for managing the administrative, operational and broader functions and activities of the Ministry.
Specifically, the purpose of the role is to:
- Develop sustainable tourism development throughout Tonga
- Promote Tonga as a tourist destination to new and existing market segments
- Provide appropriate policy advice to Government in relation to tourism issues.
- Provide appropriate policy advice to Government in relation to cultural and heritage issues.
Experience and Qualification
- Tertiary educational qualification relevant to the position and proven operational management experience of at least 7 years in a senior management position in Government or in a comparable organization, with proven senior management experience in the relevant field.
- Essential skills of the Government CEO position along with proven financial management skills and/or commercial background will be advantageous.
How to Apply:-
- Applicants who possess most of the qualities described under the essential skills, accountabilities, experience and qualification for the CEO position should request an Application Information Kit. An Application Information Kit can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Public Service Commission on +676 25770, or email ceoopportunity [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to
- Applications should be forwarded to the following address by 4:30pm on Tuesday 11 July, 2017
Public Service Commission
P.O. Box 46
- Candidates should refer to the Application Information Kit in preparing an application, ensuring that all requirements are satisfied. Incomplete documentation may prevent proper consideration of the application. Given the brevity of time, signed emailed applications will be acceptable. Email applications should be forwarded to ceoopportunity [at] psc [dot] gov [dot] to by the closing date of 4:30pm, Tuesday 11 July, 2017.