Institute of Environmental Science and Research Ltd.
Healthy Tonga Environments Project
Project Officer - 4 years in-country
The Healthy Tonga Environments project requires a Project Officer, to act as Tongan Ministry of Health and ESR’s executive assistant in-country for the duration of the project. The role is full-time for four years.
The Project Officer will coordinate the day-to-day in-country activities, and provide in-country project management support to the project partners.
The role will report to the Tonga Ministry of Health and ESR project manager, and although independent of MoH duties, be located in the MoH Public Health division.
The Project Officer will have strengths in coordination and project management, and be familiar with working in a Government of Tonga context.
- In-country activity coordination
- Liaise with ESR Activity manager before and during ESR and HEW Consultants visits to Tonga, to provide administrative and logistical support.
- Weekly meeting with the Supervising Health Inspector to agree the following week’s activity plan.
- To meet with Chief Medical Officer – Public Health, on a 2-weekly basis to provide feedback on project progress.
- Provide support to project partners during the development and running of an environmental health laboratory, including acting as business development manager for the laboratory.
- Liaising with project partners and sub-contractors to provide ongoing support through the life of the project
- Project management
- Monitor and manage in-country delivery and associated budget, according to the agreed work plan and budget, and report as required to the Activity manager.
- Maintain project information and documentation archives.
- Manage access to in-country contracted work.
- Cooperation and information exchange
- Foster agency and cross-sector engagement, and identify opportunities to work collaboratively.
Key Selection Criteria
- A Bachelors degree in a science, health or management related subject is desirable.
- Technical expertise
- A broad understanding of the range of environmental health topics of relevance to Tonga.
- IT strengths to include Microsoft products, and GIS capability
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects.
- Strong in-country networks, especially with government agencies.
- A salary range of TOP 19,000 – 25,000 (negotiable). Annual performance based increments to salary.
- In addition to Tongan, able to communicate effectively in English (written and oral).
- Able to tailor communication content and style to a range of audiences.
Please submit a CV and covering letter in English by e-mail to HTE_vacancies@esr.cri.nz no later than 04th April 2017; include the words “HTE application” in the e-mail subject field. Interviews are scheduled for 19th April, 2017.