Ministry of Infrastructure
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST - (Consulting Services - Individual Consultant)
Developing the publication “Safer reconstruction toolkit” for the Tongan context – based on reconstruction and repair technology and techniques used during post-Cyclone Ian and other housing reconstruction projects in Tonga (International Consultant)
Tonga Cyclone Ian Reconstruction and Climate Resilience Project (TCIRCRP)
Re-Advertisement Contract Reference Number: MOI/TCIRCRP/CON23
The Ministry of Infrastructure (MOI) of Tonga is currently implementing the Tonga Cyclone Ian Reconstruction and Climate Resilience Project (TCIRCRP), supported by the World Bank, to restore housing, community facilities and basic services to the affected population of Ha’apai and strengthen the country’s resilience to natural disasters.
The Ministry of Infrastructure (MOI) of Tonga in its role of the Implementing Agency for the TCIRCRP, now invites Expressions of Interest (EOI) and CVs from qualified and eligible Individual Consultants, including information on your experience and competence relevant to the following services to be provided: developing a publication on the sustainable reconstruction and repair technologies for Tonga, based on the experiences mainly from the Ha’apai reconstruction project (TCIRCRP) but also incorporating experiences from reconstruction projects that preceded Cyclone Ian (e.g. for Cyclone Isaac (1982), Cyclone Waka (2001) and Cyclone Heta (2004) and the 2009 tsunami). The publication should meet international standards in terms of its quality and output and become a useful tool for future reconstruction and repair efforts. A National Consultant to be hired under TOR for Contract MOI/TCIRCRP/CON24 will assist the International Consultant in the assignment.
Interested consultants are encouraged to review the details by requesting an electronic copy of the TOR (including TOR for Contract MOI/TCIRCRP/CON24) from the address below.
The consultant must have a minimum qualification and experience:
- a degree in Building Services or similar qualification in either civil / structural engineering or building from a recognized university, or other relevant and recognised tertiary-level academic/professional qualifications;
- at least 10 years’ experience in buildings design or construction of which at least three years in an on-site project management role (involving leadership, organizing and supervising workers, financial oversight).
- demonstrated knowledge of building construction and expert craftsmanship in building including being familiar with construction practices similar to those in Tonga;
- demonstrated experience in advising housing reconstruction following a disaster in a developing country; and
- demonstrated ability to write high quality practical technical reports and papers in English (based on reference to at least three relevant reports or similar papers prepared by the consultant).
The Consultant also will preferably have the following demonstrated personal attributes:
- good communication skills and excellent writing in English;
- management and leadership skills; and
- good organizational skills.
The Consultant will be selected based on the procedures for Selection of Individual Consultants specified in the World Bank Guidelines Selection and Employment of Consultant Under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrower, January 2011, which can be found at http://web.worldbank.org/.
Expressions of Interest must be received by email at the address below by 4:00pm on February 28, 2017 and should be clearly marked “Publication “Safer reconstruction toolkit” for the Tongan context – based on reconstruction and repair technology and techniques used during post-Cyclone Ian and other housing reconstruction projects in Tonga, Contract MOI/TCIRCRP/CON24”
Address for inquires and submission of Expression of Interest:
Attention: Sila VaEnuku
TCIRCRP and TSCP Procurement Officer
Email: svaEnuku [at] tscp [dot] to
Address: Ministry of Infrastructure, Nuku’alofa, Tonga